Add an external DAC. Make my Oppo UDP-205 a true top player

I am not sold on my Oppo UDP-205 audio reproduction.  .  It plays all formats, but audio needs improvement.   Looking for audiophiles that have felt the same a bought a DAC..  Which one did you buy.  What works really well?
dcaudio
Thanks for the input.  I prefer a DAC over a Modwright upgrade.  A DAC is a natural fit, can easily be swapped out, would be easier to sell separately, as well as something that be used beyond the Oppo itself.  My budget is $ 3,000.  I was thinking to pick either iFi Audio Pro iDSD, Benchmark DAC3, MyTek Brooklyn DAC+, or a Lumin D2.   Thank you
Happy RME ADI-2 DAC FS user here. Upgraded from internal Bluesound Node 2i' DAC. Now playing Node 2i and my old CP player through the external DAC via digital cables. And balanced XLR interconnects from the DAC to good amp. I am not considering any further improvements :-)
curious why you are set on keeping the Oppo... for the price you could sell the Oppo for, and the money you are willing to spend on a DAC ...lots of listeners don’t like the Oppo for 2 channel music, either as an all in one player  or  as a transport
For less than $3000, get the ps audio DS jr dac, today it’s better than the other dacs (most of them that I have heard) and with the free upgrades, it will sound better after every update. If you can spring for $4000, get the os audio DS sr dac which is better than the jr. Then forget about usb/toslink, and go ethernet
OP, you’re going to get LOTS of DAC recommendations, most of them for highly rated units. Like everything else in our hobby, once you get to a certain level all the choices are good. It comes down to system synergy and your ears to determine the best fit. Try and buy from a vendor that has a decent return policy so that you don’t get stuck with something that isn’t a good fit. I happen to be fond of my W4S DAC, plus their DAC’s are upgradable.