Direct Drive vs. Idler Drive vs. Belt drive

I'd like to know your thoughts on the strengths and weaknesses of each drive system. I can see that direct drive is more in vogue over the last few years but is it superior to the other drive systems? I've had first-hand experiences with two out of the three drive systems but looking to learn more.
scar972
all air bearings are not created equal. painting with a broad brush is just not informed. there are general characteristics I do agree. but exceptions too.
More correctly, painting with a broad brush is not so much 'not informed' as it is less likely to be completely accurate.

I would be interested in hearing about an air bearing that has less play than a high quality bearing of conventional design.
at OP
Scar972 -

the three way table comparison is a fun rabbit hole, and in the link I posted earlier of findings years ago, took my mind off of things during a difficult time. Based on current events - go for it !

Only I would strongly recommend as I showed in my link that I kept the same tonearm, cartridge and wiring on all three tables. My comments were based on this. Who else has done this ?

Atmasphere
To understand this better, think about the steering of a car because its exactly the same mechanical engineering principle. The wheel has to stay on the road but has to be guided by the driver. If there is play in this scheme, the car will be dangerous to drive and quite scary. Imagine installing an air bearing in the linkage of the steering of a car!

Funny ! thanks for the Friday laugh Atmasphere.

I would be interested in hearing about an air bearing that has less play than a high quality bearing of conventional design.

The ET2 with its large surface "stationary" bearing is more rigid at audio frequencies than any metal bearings. Bruce Thigpen has done the analysis , documented it - not what this thread is about. I also own high quality conventional tonearms. See my virtual system.

Cheers and everyone have a safe indoor weekend.

The ET2 with its large surface "stationary" bearing is more rigid at audio frequencies than any metal bearings. Bruce Thigpen has done the analysis , documented it
I doubt this very much, on account of one of the metal bearings suppliers in the US requires a security clearance to obtain their bearings (several grades harder than commercially available bearings so they are used in aerospace applications). Now if you can tell me that Bruce has that security clearance (as apparently Triplanar does) then I'm more likely to give this some credence.

with air bearings there are high pressure, high flow......and low pressure low flow....designs. the high pressure (the Rockport and almost all others) is logically a more robust amount of air pressure building up between metal parts. locations of venturie’s also matters especially for the arm tubes. platter air bearings sometimes are fully captured and other times use an ’air’ film to reduce resonance.

as far as ’less play’ than a conventional bearing i’d say that i’m not concerned about the technical side of what is ’play’.....more about what my ears tell me. and isolating final performance to individual pieces is really guessing for end users.

my low flow-low pressure air bearing CS Port LFT1 turntable and linear tracker give me more detail than any conventional bearing turntable and conventional bearing tonearm i have heard. the bass is otherworldly. magnificent.

https://www.csport.audio/products/products-lft1-en.html
I had run various belt drive tables for years but got the urge to try something different when I listened to a friends Artisan Fidelity Garrard 301. It had an addictive quality that the TW Raven AC sitting next to it did not seem to capture. So I set about looking for a modern idler-type table after exploring various restored vintage tables and the PTP Lenco. I decided I wanted to see if someone would achieve better results by bringing modern technology to an old design concept. After nearly a year wait and lots of helpful and informative communication back and forth last week I received a Sempersonus TE-2, the first to arrive here in the US. You can learn more here: https//sempersonus.com/te2-our-first-turntable/

I worked with Jeffrey Catalano at High Water Sound NYC on a TW Raven (12 Inch) tonearm and a Charisma Audio Signature One cartridge. I'll come back and post some comments about the sound on another thread but just thought I'd share as the table uses an "epicyclic drive" system that is essentially and inner rim drive with an electronically regulated speed control system. The table is beautiful to look at and a breeze to set up. If anyone is interested I've got pics posted on my virtual system.