Direct Drive vs. Idler Drive vs. Belt drive

I'd like to know your thoughts on the strengths and weaknesses of each drive system. I can see that direct drive is more in vogue over the last few years but is it superior to the other drive systems? I've had first-hand experiences with two out of the three drive systems but looking to learn more.
scar972
“Sexiness and tonality”. That’s what cordless motor driven DDs do better than iron core types, in my experience.
I'll try again, since I'd be very interested to find out about this.
I did respond to this, in my post just prior to this.
@chakster 

To demonstrate bearing noise, I listen to a revealing passage as per normal. Then I turn off the power. No change (other than the obvious slowing of the platter).

Then I remove the drive belt. Change for the better - trace of high frequency tizz disappears. That change is a fraction of the difference between good SACD and vinyl.

Equipment: DIY air bearing table with 45kg platter, linear tracker, Koetsu.
Air bearing stabilizes the platter in 3 dimensions - there is no intrinsic  bearing noise. 
all air bearings are not created equal. painting with a broad brush is just not informed. there are general characteristics I do agree. but exceptions too.
More correctly, painting with a broad brush is not so much 'not informed' as it is less likely to be completely accurate.

I would be interested in hearing about an air bearing that has less play than a high quality bearing of conventional design.