Direct Drive vs. Idler Drive vs. Belt drive

I'd like to know your thoughts on the strengths and weaknesses of each drive system. I can see that direct drive is more in vogue over the last few years but is it superior to the other drive systems? I've had first-hand experiences with two out of the three drive systems but looking to learn more.
scar972
I'll try again, since I'd be very interested to find out about this.

@ atmasphere:

A good platter pad will simultaneously damp the platter and silence the vibration in the LP; this has to be done with a platter pad that has the same hardness (durometer) as the vinyl. In that way energy from the LP is absorbed and not reflected back the the LP.

I must confess that I don’t really get this, as I don’t see how a mat can simultaneously be an effective and non-reflective absorber of energy and have the same hardness as the vinyl record.

Is there some science available on this subject that I can read? If so, links would be much appreciated.

the SP-10 Mk3 likely has a platter heavier than 20 pounds, maybe 30, the NVS has a 40 pound platter, the Rockport Sirius III has a 55 pound platter.

as far as Ralph’s points;

absolutely my direct drives did rock in my room exceedingly well.

in order of performance----SP-10 Mk2 < Mk3 < NVS < Rockport.

I am specifically referring to large scale rock, meant to be played a warp 9. direct drive separates parts of the soundstage more effectively than idler or belts, scales larger, and has more slam. direct drives relative weak points......sexiness and tonal density.....are less significant with large scale rock.

all air bearings are not created equal. painting with a broad brush is just not informed. there are general characteristics I do agree. but exceptions too.

same thing with platter pads. every platter is a different case, and different tt weights matter too. no broad brush there either.

“Sexiness and tonality”. That’s what cordless motor driven DDs do better than iron core types, in my experience.
I'll try again, since I'd be very interested to find out about this.
I did respond to this, in my post just prior to this.
@chakster 

To demonstrate bearing noise, I listen to a revealing passage as per normal. Then I turn off the power. No change (other than the obvious slowing of the platter).

Then I remove the drive belt. Change for the better - trace of high frequency tizz disappears. That change is a fraction of the difference between good SACD and vinyl.

Equipment: DIY air bearing table with 45kg platter, linear tracker, Koetsu.