Esoteric DV-50: Any cdp's Significantly better?

Is there are anyone out there who has compared the Esoteric DV-50 to a number of dedicated red book only players (or other universal's) and found one that is SIGNIFICANTLY better?

I stress significantly because in my humble opinion the redbook playback (if comparison unit is just a cd cd player only )must be significantly better to justify losing DVD-A, SACD and DVD-Video capability.

I keep hearing there are better one box solutions and being a die hard 2 channel fan I would sell my DV-50 if I found a player in the same price range that sounds significantly better. But every time I do an AB comparision to other well respected units the DV-50 has slayed each and every one.

So far, it has eaten the lunch of the Classe CDP-10, Ayre CX-7, Linn Ikemi, Cairn Fog Vers. 2, Cary 306/300, Arcam DV 27A and CD 33T, Myryad CD 600, etc. It even betters a Sony SCD 777ES/MF Tri-Vista 21 transport/dac combo that I previously owned. I'm only comparing the DV-50 to single box cd or universal players, but I just wanted to mention the Sony/MF combo. I'm sure there are some dac/transport combo's that will handily beat the DV 50.

Some may say that the DV 50 should beat all the above because the of price point ($5,500 vs. average price of $3,000 for the above players). But I disagree since conventional wisdom says that stand alone players (especially with the pedigree of those mentioned above) should produce better redbook than a universal player trying to be a jack of all trades. Only the DV 27A does video plus audio. By the way, I was very impressed with the 27A as just a cd player. Of all the above I would say the Ayre was the best.

Next on my list is the Electrocompaniet EMC 1UP and the Resolution Audio Opus 21. However, I must tell you I am really impressed with the DV 50 and all the great reviews are absolutely true. I've noticed that many people who are using it or comparing to other players are using the RCA analog outs instead of the balanced outs. There is a significant improvement in sound if you use the balanced outs and I'm only interested in hearing comments from people who have compared it against other players using the balanced outs on the DV-50.

My system components are as follows:

B&W N803's speakers & HTM-1 center
Cary Cinema 5 (5 x 200) amp
Anthem D1 Statement pre/pro
Esoteric DV 50
Acoustic Zen Satori Shotgun speaker wire
Nirvana SX balanced interconnects from DV-50 to Anthem
Acoustic Zen Matrix reference II interconnects from D1 to Cary
No after market power cords or isolation equipment

My system sounds great! Those who comment please make sure to specify what specific improvements you heard over the DV 50 and what cdp were you comparing it against.

AVGURU
avguru
I have owned the UX-1 for several months now; it replaced a DV-50. The UX-1 is not only outstanding in SACD and DVD-A playback, but is the best CD player I have owned.

I suspect that you will find the UX-1 to be significantly better sounding than the DV-50. I compared the 2 units on Audio Asylum ( Mercman ). The UX-1 also has no trouble with DualDisc.
Vvrinc this are the CDs I remember, the rest you can
email AVguru,and 711,Terry Evans Puttin it Down,
XRCD #10.Willie Nelson Across the Borderline,Eva
Cassisdy "Imagine",Don Bennet, Sleeping Giant.Diane
Shurr, Mark Levinson Herb Pomeroy " Live At Sandy"
Pure DSD SACD,Cantate Domino SACD Proprius Level.Chris
Botti, Thanks.
1 to 2 year delay in introducing a new product worldwide? What's wrong with Teac? Instant worldwide deployment is key to any global marketing strategy. The alternative is continuous localized sales Bulimia. Hope our friends at Teac America follow this thread.
I thought the gang would be interested to know that an X-01 appeared on AGON for sale today. See the following url:
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?dgtlplay&1107292156
OK gang, I did some research. Did some automated translation of Japanese pages and some manual translation of Italian pages. I came up with the following stilted little paragraphs on the new UX-3 and X-03 players:

Teac Japan has announced two new players derived from the UX-1 and X-01, with January 2005 Japan availability. The two players, named UX-3 and X-03 respectively, employ a simplified version of the VRDS transport mechanism: reduced thickness in the bridge from 20 mm in X-01 to 10mm in X-03, DurAluminum instead of Magnesium for the clamping mechanism, in the VRDS-NEO transport.
The D2A conversion process seems similar to that implemented on UX-1 and X-01:
DAC Burr-Brown/Texas PCM1704 with
DSD to PCM conversion for SACD. Furthermore, for the front channels the machines utilize 2 PCM1704 chips per channel in a differential design.
The quartz clock generator has been mounted as close as possible to the DACs to minimize jitter.
There is also a Sony-standard digital iLink output: it is my understanding that this is what is also known as IEEE-1394.
Mechanically the machines appear very well built; The loading tray is also made from Aluminum. The weight of these machines is 23.5 Kg, that is 51.7 Lbs.
X-03 is a 2-channel CD/SACD pure audio player, while the UX-3 is a 2-channel universal audio/video player instead, whose video circuitry employs a ADV7314 DAC and a Faroudja DCDi processor.
Multi-channel capability can be achieved only utilizing external processors connected to the iLink digital output.
The price in Japan for the X-03 is 45% less than X-01, while the price of UX-3 is 40% less than UX-1.
Further information (in Japanese) and photographs can be found at the following uRL:
http://www.teac.co.jp/av/esoteric/x03_ux3/index.html

I was tempted to post the raw automated techno-Japlish machine translations of the otherwise excellent Teac Japan pages, but just trying to read them makes my head hurts, so I will spare you the brain-swelling.
It is very difficult to tell if these devices will sound as good as the X-01 and UX-1. They seem to have been cost-reduced. But will the cost engineering affect sound? As usual, only a future shootout will tell.