Adding shielding to existing cables

So I have some interconnects that are picking up all sorts of RFi. I know this for two reasons, one, as I move them around the noisy/buzz sound changes, and two, when I switch them out for shielded interconnects the noise goes away.

so, I bought some tinned copper shielding and some new RCA plugs. I’m going to cut the existing RCA plugs off the existing cable and install the new shielding and new plugs. The thing is the new plugs have a plastic body so there is nowhere to easily connect the shielding to ground.

I was thinking of running a pigtail from the shielding and attachIng an eyelet to ground it to my preamp since there is a grounding lug. Would this work or is there a better way given what I intend to use?

last_lemming
@scroydon - Steve Reeve aka Williewonka responding...

The responses you may get could be quite varied, some positive and some stating that my ideas and approach to cable design is absurd.

Some may state the cables do not work as well as they thought, but fail to mention they DID NOT use the wires and the connectors identified on the web site.

Some may cast dispersions as to my being an "agent" for KLE Innovations, because of the products I use/promote/audition on the site

I try not to get involved in debating the various opinions, but I will offer assistance to anyone wishing to build the Helix cables.

Several Agon’ers have elected to try them and are extremely happy with them - I just hope some of them catch this thread and post their positive feedback, but on reflection, I would not blame them for staying out this one either :-)

If you are of the mind that silver wires are harsh, I can recommend very good copper wires to replace them

If you have any questions, please contact me at the email address on the website - I am here to assist

Regards - Steve :-)
Steve,

before I knew about your praise for KLE connectors I stumbled upon them and Duelund wires and made myself a set of interconnects. I was quite pleased when I plugged them in and listened. I now want to make an XLR set with Duelund wires, can this be done with the helix method?
@Williewonka

Hi Steve.
You left out how your practical research is supported by PS Audio research and other "mad scientists" (respectful and admirable context used here) and endorsements of other fellow DIYer who simply wonder and tinker leading to improvements in audio, many theory on induction and capacitance found thanks to great minds at Bell, Westinghouse, RCA, and Western Electric, and other's, many who’s research is lost on those who think they are smarter and don’t value the vast knowledge of past great minds.

Oh, well.

From imagination comes opportunities.

"What’s in your wall."
@last_lemming - yes - I have a photo of an XLR cable that another DIYer had made. However - he used wooden beads to center the signal wires in the helix coil.

However - I think this may be a simpler method...
- make the helix coil for the neutral conductor as per my web site
- for each of the two signal conductors simply place each wire inside a piece of 1/8" cotton sleeve
- gently twist the two wires together (clockwise direction) - one complete twist every 3-4 inches
- place the signal conductor assembly inside helix coil
- Add the XLR connectors

My thoughts are - that using the cotton insulation will prove to be more effective, since the two signal wires will not be "pinched" together where they go through the wooden beads.

My latest RCA wires use the signal wire inside 1/8" cotton sleeve and they worked better than the version using small wooden beads I had tried previously.

While I have found the Duelund wire to be very good, I do prefer solid silver for the signal wires - they are more dynamic with better clarity, detailing and imaging

From that perspective I have recently become aware of this solid silver wire from VH Audio - I would use the 21 gauge version for IC's
https://www.vhaudio.com/unicrystal-occ-silver-wire.html

The AirLok insulation has Dielectric Constant around that of Cotton/oil.

I have tried the 18 guage wire on a power cable for my source components and it was stunning, so I am thinking of using it for a pair of IC's to see how it compares to Mumdorf Silver/gold wire I currently use

Keep us posted on how they turn out

Regards - Steve
@scroydon - Thanks for that update on the other "mad scientists". I don’t feel so isolated :-)

I was not actually aware of the contribution from PS Audio and all the other great minds in the companies you mention - but I am not surprised that it gets lost with the glut of information AND more importantly MIS-information available on the web today

Most of my "knowledge" came from tinkering, the tinkering of other DIYer’s around the globe and Keith Louie Eichman, who got me started on all of this with his cable topology.

Once I got into the geometry of cables I started looking at what was out there from companies like Kimber Kable, Cardas, AntiCables Gutwire and most recently Inakustik.

The latest revelation has been the impact of Dielectric Content of the insulation on wires and thanks to companies like VH Audio there is a broader selection of great wires (copper and silver both with AirLok insulation) to choose from. Chris, of VH Audio is also a well known DIYer that I have a lot of respect for and he makes some very good cables.

Bur sometimes it does seems those with the "loudest voice" wins the day.

However it is refreshing to see some pretty clever cable designs coming to market of late.- i.e. for those audiophiles that prefer NOT to dabble in DIY

Regards - Steve