OMG, just removed my speaker grills and the sound just opened up to a new level!

My recently purchased Focal Maestro Utopia speakers look so good with their black front baffle and side and back Camara white, I couldn’t even think about removing the grills to hear what they sound like with them off. With nobody around to voice their displeasure to seeing those drivers I boldly went were no man, or in this case myself, said he would never go and removed the grills. Hello, said the speakers
this is what I really sound like. I might not be as pretty, but love me for what really counts, how I sound,
not how I look. I have to say I love them even more and they’re not looking too bad either! 
hiendmmoe
@roxy54 

I sometimes leave off for the look of the array of drivers,
 they are on %98 of the time.

for protection.  
Had a pair of BIC America dv84’s which NEEDED two layers of tshirt cut and taped over the grill to kill the shrill.
only pair ever had which needed a tweeter damping.
 Sounded amazing, and open airy,  but were too bright.

I love the look of my speakers w the grills off, but with a 8 year old, I keep everything covered up
:)

Great thread!  The friendly banter is just what I needed tonight 😁

Grills off for me while listening.  I must say though, the metal grills that ATC uses are very transparent sounding.  Studio Electric M4’s use an interesting ($400 optional) metal grill also, made from the same material as windscreens of professional microphones, apparently!
If I remember correctly, the Martin Logan series motion 40 and 60 towers w the folded tweeter, use metal grills, that’s quality,
mine are plastic wrapped in black thin fabric.

Love those motion 60 Martin Logan speakers, but when I purchased mine, they were a bit more than I could manage.

Such an amazing sounding speaker!
Sometimes, when speakers are too bright for someone's taste, they sound better with grilles on - more balanced. It depends on speakers, room, personal tastes, etc. My speakers are Silverline Sonata-III and I remove the grilles when I want them to sound more open.
The difference will be HUUUUGE! 😁 Kidding. I have metal grills and oddly doesn’t affect sound too dramatically. But there is a more loudness, focus and clarity without them. The speakers still sound great with the grills on though.