Has anyone else auditioned something that really was terrible?

I decided to check out Rotel on current B&W 804's, since I figured these speakers would be most similar to my older 803"s.Even the sales person had to admit it was not something I would want to listen to for any length of time.Do people buy this for background music?For around $4000 for a CD and integrated amp, it was not impressive. to say the least. It actually sounded like my first preamp, a Crown IC something or other.
Someone gave me a 125 wpc Marantz surround receiver.  I plugged it in and listened for 5 minutes, then permanently re-boxed it to sell, if I ever get around to it. It is totally unlistemable.
Am I just spoiled?
128x128danvignau
I remember many moons ago auditioning a CD player and when I arrived at the store I was told by the salesman that it was ready in the room to listen. I went in and sat down to listen and as there were three pairs of speakers in front of me I could not know which pair I was listening to . It turns out I was listening to Lowther horns and some ocscure 4 watt amplifier that I forget the name of. The sound was awfull with no transparency no detail and no treble. I dully told the salesman so and he told me that it was the best he was prepared to stock as he hated all things treansistorised so if it wasn't good enough then to go somewhere else and not come back. Not too many months after that he put the shutters up and has not been heard of again.
Some dealers are customer friendly, but they seem to be getting scarcer.  Decades ago, when I ran one pair of B&W DM14's, I went to a well-regarded store in Miami, Audio by Caruso.  The owner, a frail little man, told me that he had a really great trade in, and I could buy it and return it within a week. Despite the beautiful, sculpted wood cabinet, and overall quality, it was not what I needed.  When I returned it with 30 minutes to spare, he dug through his cluttered desk and handed me the actual check I had written him.
McIntosh Amp at a high end dealership.

I wanted to hear a pair of well regarded speakers, low sensitivity, at one of the most respected NJ dealers. I took some music with me, one being Jeff Wayne’s War of the Worlds, a lot to deal with, and one specific part: Does Richard Burton sound right?

They had a McIntosh system, hooked up the speakers, music with very strong dynamics, and I noticed to my right, a bit behind me, the salesman was riding the gain up/dn manually, tweaking it (to keep the McIntosh Power Guard from engaging frequently I discovered). Stupid.

I knew enough, had my own 300wpc McIntosh SS system at home, to realize that size McIntosh amp could not handle those inefficient speakers. Someone else might not have realized it, might have taken those speakers home to an under powered amp, or, been sold an under powered amp with them.

Of course I had/still have great respect for McIntosh, it’s all about their transformers, and I like having Power Guard, especially if not needed.

Just swapped that SS system for McIntosh tube tuner/preamp mx110z, couldn’t be happier. I never needed 300wpc, it had been a gift, I replaced it with 45 wpc tube integrated, (Cayin A88T, they say designed to ’sound’ like McIntosh tube MC275). I could have easily gone down to 30 wpc with my efficient horns, drove them with 30wpc mono blocks for years.

Anyway, I always wonder(ed) what might have happened to a less informed/aware customer.