The quiet grid

"The Grid", as we audiophiles refer to it is the power in our neighborhood. You may or may not have what we call "clean" electricity. We have add on boxes that clean up your electricity if there is a problem.

Those very expensive two box units with separate power supplies solve the problem of clean electricity at a price.

I am a keen observer of "The grid"; I notice when there is a remarkable improvement in my audio for no apparent reason. The last time I noticed this, I listened to music all night long. It was on a Christmas Eve, and there was a foot of snow outside; that's when I determined this remarkable improvement was the result of a quiet "grid"; that's when there is almost no commercial or industrial activity on the "electrical grid" near you, and residential use is quiet as well.

Normally this only occurs for a short time, but it's been like that for days; this has never happened before. Our present COVID 19 lockdown condition has given us a super quiet grid. That means our modest rigs are equivalent to much more expensive rigs that have expensive power supplies.

I am going to take advantage of this by doing a lot of recording. (when my reel to reel gets out of the shop) It's extremely unfortunate that we have this super quiet grid as a result of COVID 19, but there it is.
orpheus10
Quite frankly I look at the government money coming back to me as part of what I already paid in. Like getting back my own money. There is always more than one way to look at things. But on the OP's topic, a simple balanced power unit cleans up the source power into your home and mine was very inexpensive.

I first noticed that the music "seemed" to sound better a few days ago, but since then there is no mistake; all I want to do is listen to music without interruption; it reminds me of the very first time I discovered sex, the 8th wonder of the world.

I must realize we are not all experiencing the same thing, so I can only relate to you what a difference this makes where I am. Even in the bedroom rig there is a big difference. I checked the volume knob after discovering the music was just a tad loud, and it was where I left it; the volume has increased or it sounds louder because it's so clear.

Listening to music is all I want to do; consequently, this lock-down is most irrelevant.

While I'm an old man, some of this music reminds of things I use to do and who I did them with. That was a very long time ago but these "holographic sounds" are doing a lot for my ability to recall a long time ago. I just listen to my play-list without touching anything, and this is what came up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkRGRI0bvt8

I heard that in the proper setting a very long time ago, but this evening it seemed like yesterday.
I use AC regen, so "clean power" isn’t an issue.

What I do notice since I don’t have a dedicated space is, LESS ambient noise.
My place is 100 years old, no double paned windows or high tech insulation.

Great for listening to music with quiet passages. As if doing a 3:00am session in the middle of the day.
I noticed the better sound out of my system myself and suspected it had something to do with the grid but with so many other variables involved I wasn't sure. It's just a little disheartening I recently spent several thousands of dollars on a ps audio power plant that should be eliminating that problem but apparently it doesn't completely. But still not sorry I bought it cause the oscilloscope on it is kinda cool lol. And as far as the government putting us further into debt. I don't have any kids so two trillion four trillion hell they can spend  a thousand  zillion bazillion for all I care because when the bill comes do ill either be dead or to old to care...sorry for you parents! 

I use older PP too. Yes, it is quieter these days. Somehow, it gives me no pleasure because I know why it is. Much less noise outside too. Again, this bothers me.