Subwoofer insight.

This is new territory to me. Current speakers are 2 way with frequency response of 60Hz-20KHz with +/- 2dB.  Sensitivity rated as 86dB. Chance to purchase a pair of REL 7 tis. I feel like I am missing something but will have to buy the subs to try out. My basic question is this. Does this purchase sound wise? I know what I am willing to spend but do you think I will notice an appreciable improvement.  I know that no one can listen through my ears but this is my first time doing this. Source is 75 watt integrated tube amp, McIntosh MA-2275. Thoughts appreciated. I am leaning towards going forward with the deal but would appreciate some feedback. Room is large and open, 28X38 feet with 9 foot ceilings. Thanks for any feedback.
ricmci
These low frequencies are inherent in the acoustic resonance of large spaces. Therefore present in all music that is well recorded in a large space.
Nonsense! It’s only present if the material was not filtered, which was often SOP for records. Any or all of the microphone, input channel, mix output, cutter could have been filtered to make the disk more playable.

OTOH, some unfiltered large space recording have enough sub-audible low end to put a plate amp sub into thermal shutdown. Adding a 12v 100 or 120mm computer fan run on ≈3.5vdc will keep the amp cool and dramatically extend its life.
see http://ielogical.com/assets/WinterBlues/Force_Fan.jpg Airflow is toward plate to force air up the channels.
The fan is held in place with the compliant mounting plugs. Even Saving Private Ryan or Telarc 1812 w cannon won’t shake it loose.
ricred1
I don’t listen to any music that has bass any where near 20hz, let alone below 20hz.

millercarbonThese low frequencies are inherent in the acoustic resonance of large spaces.
Huh? You must be hearing things!
I suggest you try and measure this "inherent" acoustic resonance. Feel free to report back with your findings.
Thanks Brad, easier said than done. I have often said to myself the same question. I know no one whom participates in these activities so borrowing is not an immediate option. Sure, I could make a local effort and see what is available but that is not who I am. Sure, I could use more power and more efficient speakers. To my ears the sound is quite pleasing. I’m sure I could hook something else up and be hooked. I don’t plan on that until I have to since quite happy with what I have. Just trying to optimize what I have.  Wasn’t looking to redo my system.  As said earlier, you only know what you know. Knowing more does not necessarily make life less complicated. In this situation, it actually makes it more complicated. Today, I listened to a DMB vinyl box set (1998) I bought for my wife as a present and just loved it with subs on rather than off. I don’t need perfection. Listening to it on my system sounds 99 percent better than anything else I have ever heard. Not saying 99 percent better than what everyone here has. Far from. Just saying 99 percent better than “The best of what’s around”!
ATC SCM19 has a published spec of
Frequency Response (-6dB): 54Hz-22kHz
Even 1000w is never going to get low end from it or any similar 2-way.

Power requirements fall approximately 50% per octave. Using the SCM19 as an example and rolling the bass @ 80Hz requires an amplifier of only 50w vs 200w full range. The smallish woofer is relieved and more easily accomplishes its task as a mid -bass & -range driver. There is no free lunch and no 6" driver is ever going to have the same output at 20Hz or even 40Hz as at 200Hz or 2kHz in any box of reasonable size.

A purpose built sub with 300w RMS peak has double the power necessary for the 20-80Hz range as the 50 for 80-20kHz. Something in the 10-12" range with similar sonics to the mains & properly set up will add musical realism beyond any amount of power.

IMO, unless one has completely separate HT & music systems, one should opt for musical sub[s]
REL is going to reproduce the subtle spacial nuances in both music and home theater in ways that level up your experience and your system as a whole. As Ricred posted earlier, he's had a number of different subs and ended up with dual REL Carbons.

I have another friend who bought a REL Carbon as well and liked it so much he added a 2nd. 

There's a reason you see RELs with 2 channel high end systems at the shows.