Silverline Minuet "Supreme"

As I look to standardize my nearfield systems across multiple desktps, this speaker has caught my attention, not only because it has been recommended by reliable Audiogoners, but also because it seems unusually compact and lightweight.

I have just picked up the latest Absolute Sound, which also praises the Minuet.

Now called the "Supreme" apparently it has some modest upgrades from earlier versions, but also real rosewood veneer, instead of vinyl laminate.

Can anyone comment in more detail on their experiences with the sound of this speaker? Any idea how it might compare to Harbeth P3SER, or other well respected British designs?

Thanks and hope to somehow also hear them soon.
cwlondon
I'm currently evaluating a pair of PMC TB2i's (which are excellent) but also am very interested in the Minuets as I was very impressed with them at the RMAF and in fact bought a pair of Silverline Preludes (small floorstanders) as a result. It may be premature (since I am not comparing them directly head to head) but I think I might prefer the Minuets. I like the idea of having a small monitor around and the Minuets are so superior at their price point they are hard to ignore.
Although I have never heard the Minuets, at their price point, they clearly appear to be candidates for "best buy" status.

A good friend of mine, Texas42 (you can chime in anytime, Dave), is better qualified to speak on behalf of the Silverline's, as he owned a pair of the Preludes, and has first-hand experience with the Minuets.

From what I heard of the Preludes at Dave's, and I only had a brief encounter, they were absolute stunners. Amazing dynamics and a wonderful, rich tone, for such a diminutive floor stander. If the Minuets are half as good sounding as the Preludes, they are certainly worth the cost of admission.

On the other hand, I have owned several pairs of Harbeths, and am fully accustomed to their sound. The P3 series, most notably, is the finest sounding mini-monitor I have ever heard/owned. Size notwithstanding, they throw an absolutely huge soundstage, that extends way beyond the boundaries of their cabinets.

Short story, so please bear with me. The first time I heard a pair was in London, shortly after their debut. My wife and I were in town shopping for a stand-mount speaker, and had spent the entire day searching for a pair to take home. We listened to virtually everything that was available (in London, at least) at the time, but were not satisfied with what we had been hearing.

It was our last shop to visit, and we were already exhausted from all the walking around and train rides to get everywhere, so we were not in the best frame of mind for yet another fruitless audition. We merely wanted to get it over with and get back home.

Reluctantly, we explained to the salesperson the kind of sound we were looking for and, without hesitation, he said he had just what we were looking for. He brought out a pair of the then new Harbeth HL-P3 loudspeakers and set them on the stands. When my wife and I saw just how small they were, we just looked at each other and thought, "yeah right."

Well, I have to tell you, within three seconds of the speaker's being played, we both perked up and did a double-take. The sound emanating from those little boxes was nothing short of breathtaking.

I had heard a lot of speakers in my time, indeed that day; however, none of them could match the little Harbeth's for producing such a vast and transparent soundstage. Totally believable in every (audiophile) sense of the word. Within the context of their capabilities, they were simply remarkable. Needless to say, we bought a pair right on the spot. To this day, no other loudspeaker has had such a profound effect upon my first listening.

While this is hardly a comparison between the Silverline's and the Harbeth's, my point is that both speakers could very well be capable of giving you exactly what you have been looking for, albeit at different price points. I don't think there is any right or wrong in choosing one over the other, except where, perhaps, budget is your first priority. In the end, your purchase of either loudspeaker will be fully justified by the wonderful sounds they can produce. I hope this helps.

William
FWIW I don't know about the 'new' Minuets, but I listened to a stacked set (4) Minuets at Alan's shop a couple of years ago. They were driven by inexpensive SS amps, pre-amp and CDP. Played a few cuts from discs Alan had and some that I brought. I was greatly impressed!!!!! Clarity, presence, and neutral tone, without 'brightness'. Reasonable bass for such a small box. I still went home with my Bolero's though. :-)

William

Thank you, a tough call.

I have not yet heard them, but the P3SERs sound like they would be consistent with my tastes, at least according to what I read.

What I perceive and like reading about the Minuets, however, is more sincerity than hype (not that Harbeths are overly hyped), and also some sort of "special" quality or personality to the Minuet speakers.

In the end, perhaps $600 vs +/- $2000 makes it a no brainer.

Newbee

Stacked meaning 4 Minuets played simultaneously?

One of my first experiences was a friend who had stacked KLH 9's, circa 1980.

Were the Minuets oriented vertically?

I would love to hear more about that and always wonder why "stacked" configurations don't get more airtime.
I'm not sure if mine are the Minuets or the Minuet Supremes, but I've had a pair for a few months in a two channel setup. There's much to like about them, but bass extension and physically conveying the feeling of the music are not on that list. Jazz, vocals, small ensembles, most rock and roll sound very good. Orchestral music sounds truncated and like it's coming from a really small speaker.

I'm not sure, but they also may be sensitive to the type of solid state amp running them. I have an Arte Forma and they sound good, clear and detailed most of the time. When I was running a ClassD Audio amp, I thought the speakers sounded smoother and richer. Of course, it may have all been the amp.

If they just had a 6 to 7 inch bass/mid driver, they'd be able to offer a more well-rounded sonic character. But I guess that's why Silverline sells other, more costly speakers.