Reducing Humming Sound

Hello all!

I am using a Tripp-Lite LCR2400 AC line conditioner in my system.  I am very happy with it and the peace of mind it offers me with regards to not only protecting my equipment, but insuring the power I'm getting is clean and stable.

This unit is known to have an audible hum to it...it's not very loud, but it can be heard faintly in a quiet room. When playing music, the hum is not noticeable at all.

If I were to attempt to reduce this hum, would opening the unit up and affixing sound deadening material (like Dynamat) to the interior of the case/chasis/cover be a good solution?  Normally, I would go ahead and give this a try, but since there is such a high level of electricity being handled by this unit, I don't want to do anything that would be dangerous once I plug it in and turn it back on.

Thanks for any feedback,

Arvin
128x128arvincastro
@uberwaltz  

Yes, the more I researched around other forums (including at Tripp-Lite) the more I understand this to be a unit that has a hum...some louder than others. 
The other thing is that I did read about how some users/techs eliminate such a hum by using rubber grommets to isolate the transformer from the chassis...similar to what @lowrider57 suggested. 
All in all, I can live with it...just wanted to know if an easy fix was possible. 
Again, Thanks everyone for your input!

Arvin
arvincastro OP80 posts03-17-2020 6:53pm@oldhvymec  

While I would love to see what you find out, I do hope you know what you’re doing...please stay safe!

Arvin

Arvin you are a fine fellow, and I will. Here is something my brother, whom I love only like a brother can, taught me. BTW he's retired now but a good and SAFE electrician, by all of his piers. Not me, I know he is..

WHEN the circuit is hot....YOU know it's hot, you know because YOU CHECKED.

Put one hand in you back pocket. PUT ONE HAND IN YOUR BACK POCKET..., hold your pocket. now work with the other hand..

It has never failed me working around a lot of 5-200kv gen sets. Confined space and visual issues.. Trailer mount enclosed..

In this case, two handed and unplugged, to remove the cover.
Find the caps and discharge them. simple to do, BUT noisey
sometimes..pops and such. I use a simple 40 watt bulb #12 wire with
wire clips and a light switch in an elect box..Clip both sides of the caps and flip the switch, a couple of times... and go to each one a couple of times...AGAIN in the box: use one hand to connect, and one hand in you pocket..

Then flip the switch. if you like a little distance. hee hee use longer leeds.. 

WHY??? You don't want it to go through your chest, the discharge can hurt you but through your chest... ok HAND IN YOUR POCKET.

holes in the shoes is a no no too. ok.. water is a no no. NO WATER, or liquids..EVER...DAMP flooring or kneeling is a no no... the path to ground can be a real issue....

Regards

By the way. AVA sells their gear with a 30-day return period, so if you try a HumDinger, it can be returned if it doesn't help.
Ok I took it apart.  I'm gonna put a better conductor in the box and hard wire mine in with a shorter cable and a pure copper end.  It has some very small caps inside on a logic board. NO problem with having to discharge ANYTHING....
The transformer has 4 corners, two are secured through the faceplate via the front handle and two are secured directly to the faceplate.  NO vibrational dampening of any type. 
Silicone is the best. Make sure it's NOT for ultra high temp. They use nickel, lead, or tin ALL conductive in some of the cocktails with silicone to get the temp rating HIGHER.
Clear silicone is fine temp wise.   I'm gonna look for silicone washers to go between the two mating surfaces. Fireproof dampening stick on stuff, or I'll just run beads of silicone the length of the enclosure let it set up. Thin bead of silicone on the mating surfaces and put it back together.

I used a thermal gun BEFORE the upgrade after an hour of running 85 degrees, room temp was 70.  We'll see if there is any change temp wise, after the silicone.

It is just a noisy enclosure. Should be easy to fix...

Regards
@oldhvymec

Thanks for the report and I am very happy to hear it wasn't too trying a chore for you!  I actually sent your findings to a friend of mine who happens to be an electrician and he said it looks pretty straight-forward...we're hoping to meet up sometime after this COVID-19 business allows us to try silencing the enclosure as you've stated.

Thanks again...Hope you and yours are well!

Arvin