Cassettes still rock!

Played Dire Straits debut album last night - from a Maxell XL 2s cassette recorded from the vinyl over 30 years ago. Best sound I've heard on my system in months. I have the SACD, but doesn't have the organic sound from the tape/vinyl. Dig out your old cassettes! 
mcondo
Cassettes are, sort of objectively, inferior in sound, but they do sound better than anything. It has nothing to do with quality.

On a similar level, I read so many accolades about current high class reel-to-reel tape sound. I have been to two shows and one hi-fi dealer that played them. Easily contender for "the worst of the show" and really lacking at the dealer. Someone may like them, but someone may not be that impressed.
I love cassettes, I have an Akai GXC 760 D hooked up to a Rotel RX 1203 in my vintage system sounds great and looks the nuts....
I dragged out my long stored cassettes with my vinyl when re-setting up my turntable. Got around purchasing a used simple Nakamichi CR-1A, as I really didn’t see using it as I did 35-40 years ago, (recording many albums and CD’s for auto/mobile use prior to the inclusion of CD players in cars, or mini players), and my old deck is nowhere to be found. Thus, only primarily need playback for the surprising number of tapes I had (record label releases). I was wondering where some of my music went, as I knew I once had these ‘albums’, just forgot I had so many on tape.

What I have found is some sound amazingly good, some not so much vs their CD, or vinyl counterpart. After time, (maybe some never did), I don’t think the record companies put enough effort into creating good mastering and playback quality on cassette tape vs their vinyl or CD counterpart, but some did, and those indeed shine.

I have figured out a way to record as well (without a tape-out), so have erased many of my good quality metal and chrome tapes to play around with that, many times with very good results. But I also found quite a few had mold from being boxed in my basements or outdoor storage units over the years, and that made them useless. And the cost off a good quality blank tape is ridiculous today, as you have to basically buy old new stock, or a bunch of pre-recorded ‘blank’ tapes off of someone unloading them, and they charge a pretty penny as they know there is really no supply for new good quality tapes.

All that said, I’m glad I have the Nakamichi and my old tapes to play, and and quite surprised just how good some of them sound. 
You are correct on the dearth of good new blank tape media available.
There are still some basic TDK and Maxell tapes new but ok is about as far as I would go with description.

Unfortunately eBay sellers are a savvy lot and know they can charge a goodly amount for TDK SA tapes or similar especially if sealed NOS.

My stash of blank TDK SA tapes is running down and I will have to bite the bullet and try and find a good deal on the bay somehow.