How do Dunlavys compared to new stuff?

I attended a Stereophile show in the 90s and the Dunlavy SC-IV was my favorite. I'm considering new speakers (thanks for the help on previous threads) and wondering if in 15 years newer designs have left them behind. How would these compare to similar designs/cost speakers of today?

There are some IIIs for sale, how do they compare to the IV? How much would IVs cost do you think?

Thanks,
Jim
river251
A very interesting set of responses and there is no doubt that speakers like the IV's still make beautiful music. But the reality is they ARE dated. They do not possess that quickness, resolution and dynamics of some todays great speakers and I do think the inexpensive drivers are part of the issue. Go listen to the likes of Green Mountain Audio or Merlin and then tell me that speakers have not evolved a LOT since the Dunlavys.
Saying that, there is still no question that they remain very good speakers and a great value. But I could say the same of many fine speakers. I recently spent time with Spica TC-60s and Snell JIII's and they were still very impressive.

Rob
I also own the SC4s, and have from almost the time they originally appeared. One significant improvement to mine occured when I freed the internal driver wires from those nasty clips, cut off the splayed ends, tightly wound the newly bared ends and soldered them to the drivers where the clips had previously resided. This resulted in a smoother and more musical/relaxed sound in the treble range(YMMV). Otherwise, I concur with those who cite the flexibility in tailoring the sound of their Dunlavys with different associated equipment. For example, changing the tubes alone in my Air Tight ATM-3 monoblock amps made a very considerable difference in regard to projecting a soundstage of impressive breadth as well as imparting a greater sense of fullness to instrumental voices. I've had very few if any misgivings about the Dunlavys.
One year at the CES John Dunlavy used a Bel Canto amp (the SET-40 like No_regrets?) to drive the SC-IIIs. It may not have offered full bass extension but otherwise was one of the best sounds at that show.

While respective models between Duntech and Dunlavy Audio Labs have similar sonic character, they do have different drivers and crossovers. As a result I believe the Duntechs require more power while the DALs can be paired successfully with less powerful amps. But both lines will be very revealing of whatever is upstream and will reward their owners for choosing quality components.
Many speaker's parts are better than the sum of their designs. Dunlavy's speaker's design is better than some of their parts.
Pryso, the Bel Canto SET40 is exactly the amp that I am using with my Dunlavy SCIV's. It does an excellent job of reproducing the lowest octaves of an acoustic double bass and the wallop of kettle and bass drums in a symphony. For me, that is all I can ask as I do not listen to rock, rap, or synthesized music. To my ears, in my room, I feel it is a great match.