Do You Remember Your First CD Player?

I had owned the first of the first. I purchased the unit in 1982. It was a Sony CDP 101. It was the most obnoxious, raspy, annoying, piercing, grading, non-musical component I had ever heard.

Also, at the time, the complete CD library that was available consisted of about 15 CDs.

Now? I listen to my newest CD rig more than I listen to my turntable. My, how times have changed.

What was your first CD player and when did you purchase it?
128x128buscis2
1988 Magnavox boombox. I got it as an Xmas present along with Sting's Dream of the Blue Turtles cd. This cdp lasted up until my junior year in college when I inadvertently backed my car over it after a long day drinking at the beach. There are great memories with that cdp...I did a lot of things (legal and illegal)to the music that cdp produced.
Mine was a Mission, which was basically a Phillips with a superior analog output circuit in a separate potted module that was stuffed in the box with some foam to keep it from rattling around. I had gone to an audio shop all prepared to buy a Sony, but the Mission sounded so much better that I was sold on it. The Mission used a pair of D/A converters for the two channels, whereas the Sony time multiplexed one D/A. I used this player for at least 15 years.

A little history...Oversampling was a Philips idea (which they didn't bother to tell Sony about) so that they could use a good 14-bit DA instead of the flaky 16-bit ones that were common when CDs were introduced. Everyone agreed that the oversampling 14-bit Phillips ran circles around the Sony units.
I bought it in '87.

It broke after like two years. I'd always heard to stay away from extended warranties but for some reason this was the one time I actually bought one. How 'bout that!

But the warranty was from the infamous Crazy Eddie. It/he was was bankrupt by then. How bout that too.
Yes,a Sony CDP-302. I still have it, and it works perfectly. My girlfriend got it for my B'day. She spent way more than she should have(I'm glad she did!). She got me that instead of a ring...that's why I married her
a couple of years later(love had a little something to do with it also). We're still married today, because
she understands(allows...) my addiction...:-)

Mark
My parents bought me a Pioneer pdm 60 in '87 for graduation. I used it until last year. Now it's at a buddys house getting used almost daily. It came with a single cd cartridge and a 6 cd cartridge. The cd had to go in upside down. I never once had an issue with the 6 disc changer.Ever.