Do You Remember Your First CD Player?

I had owned the first of the first. I purchased the unit in 1982. It was a Sony CDP 101. It was the most obnoxious, raspy, annoying, piercing, grading, non-musical component I had ever heard.

Also, at the time, the complete CD library that was available consisted of about 15 CDs.

Now? I listen to my newest CD rig more than I listen to my turntable. My, how times have changed.

What was your first CD player and when did you purchase it?
128x128buscis2
I resisted cd's for a long time and stuck with vinyl until it started getting really hard to get new releases. Around '94 I broke down and bought a Denon something or other. I was really surprised at how bright and un-enjoyable it sounded.

The place I bought it from wouldn't take it back and somehow or another I stumbled on Innovative Audio in Brooklyn. I went there looking for a better Denon or a Sony or something and they must have been rubbing their hands together when they saw me coming. He A/B'd a Nad (I think) that was in my price range with a Cal Icon that wasn't and the proverbial light bulb went off in my head. Game over.

I still have the Icon, still like the way it sounds...
Magnavox CDB 650 for me as well. I upgraded to a rotel rcd 855. Still have that one in the closet.
Yep, Rega Saturn. Just bought it 6 months ago. I stuck with my turntable rig I've owned since the 1980's (SOTA/SME). Just got married and we (she) needed the convenience of CD's, since she was not allowed to touch my turntable rig! I can't believe I finally did it.....got married and bought a CDP!!! At 44 years of age, it's about time (for both).
1988 Magnavox boombox. I got it as an Xmas present along with Sting's Dream of the Blue Turtles cd. This cdp lasted up until my junior year in college when I inadvertently backed my car over it after a long day drinking at the beach. There are great memories with that cdp...I did a lot of things (legal and illegal)to the music that cdp produced.