How loud is loud, What DB is actually loud?

I like I should say love old school rock and hip/hop rap and funk all kinds of music. I found out my dads listening level is around 75DB which i find to be completley unsatisfying.

I was looking up Quad esl's and everyone says witha 85DB rating they wont go loud, but how loud is loud, How loud is rocking out?
128x128systembuilder
I never sat it it at full volume.... this was back almost 20yrs ago that I was into car audio a lot. Adcom amps (which I still have), Denon CD player.... etc.. I wanted a Mcintosh amp but they were just so expensive..... out of my budget so I stuck with Adcom. I then tried Adcom at home.... their car stuff is or I guess was a lot better

It really isn't difficult to get 140+ in a car but yea, totally stupid to sit in it when hitting those numbers. I use to work at a home/car audio shop.

Those 170db systems I think use multiple 5-10K watt amps... with a wall of subs. Doesn't adding a 2nd driver add 3db if the power stays the same? Been so long I forget. But if 100w does 100db with a single 12 then that same 100w going into a pair of 12's would equal 103db? Dam it's been to long.........

With the proper amp you can make ineffecient amps play loud
Viggen900

If I remember right adding a second sub adds 6DB I believe

Just out of curiousity does anyone have experience with Focal Utopia Car speakers and subs, I am currently running original Focal Utopia 6.5 Component speakers with a zapco Z350-C2SL I believe or something close in model bridged running 350 watts to my midrange, A Diamond D7402 (400 Watt a channel Class AB) to my subwoofers, and I need a Tweeter Amp as I am currently using a Alpine Deck booster type thing. My main issue is space, I never got around to another amp as I ran out of money and had little space left, Something thats an old school classic cheater amp thats not that big. Thanks a million Toby
look on youtube and you will see plenty of cars hitting over 160db and 170db. you dont sit in the vehicle at these competitions! these cars use multiple alternators and batteries along with thousands of watts. plus they have bulletproof glass and heavily reinforced bracing in the vehicles. the tone bursts they play only last a few seconds, just to register on the meter.
When I remember, I am going to be taking out a sound meter at work and measuring the dB's. I have only done this once so far since getting the meter, at a rehearsal for a pops concert. In this particular case, we had an unusual set-up, and I was actually behind most of the loudest instruments, so my meter only registered a peak of 104.99 dB. I was a little surprised it wasn't higher, it was basically a big band type of set-up. I think in our normal set-up, the same concert would have registered higher levels at my chair, as the louder instruments are usually closer to me (I am a horn player). I had another opportunity at another pops show yesterday, but forgot all about it.
Doesn't adding a 2nd driver add 3db if the power stays the same? Been so long I forget. But if 100w does 100db with a single 12 then that same 100w going into a pair of 12's would equal 103db?
Driving two 100db/100W subs with two separate amplifiers, each providing 100W, would result in an spl of 103db, assuming that the subs are positioned such that their outputs are in-phase at the listening position.

Connecting two 100db/100W subs in parallel to a single amplifier, that would provide 100W into one sub, would also result in 103db, IF the amplifier is capable of providing the 200W that would be drawn by the halved impedance that the paralleled speakers would present to it. And assuming also that the amplifier has negligibly small output impedance (which is the case for most solid state amps, but not for most tube amps).

Connecting the two subs in series, btw, would not make sense as it would result in a reduction to 97db spl, with only 50W being drawn from the amplifier.

Rayray8 -- truly awesome. I'd imagine that one reason for keeping the tone bursts short is to prevent the voicecoils from melting!

Regards,
-- Al