How loud is loud, What DB is actually loud?

I like I should say love old school rock and hip/hop rap and funk all kinds of music. I found out my dads listening level is around 75DB which i find to be completley unsatisfying.

I was looking up Quad esl's and everyone says witha 85DB rating they wont go loud, but how loud is loud, How loud is rocking out?
128x128systembuilder
Elizabeth - I have a good set of phones - I just prefer my listening via the speakers. Give me the airy soundstage any day. Phones are the absolute last resort for me.
Jet noise? I was at Rose Parade when the B-2 just idled over. You could hear it for another 30 seconds after it was gone. Close up, that thing's gotta be LOUD.

I also was at a landing and takeoff of a Concord. That was maybe the loudest thing I've ever heard. Ear covering loud, even.

But, bang for buck? A Harrier just 10 feet off the ground hovering there. Visit an airshow that has one.
I never sat it it at full volume.... this was back almost 20yrs ago that I was into car audio a lot. Adcom amps (which I still have), Denon CD player.... etc.. I wanted a Mcintosh amp but they were just so expensive..... out of my budget so I stuck with Adcom. I then tried Adcom at home.... their car stuff is or I guess was a lot better

It really isn't difficult to get 140+ in a car but yea, totally stupid to sit in it when hitting those numbers. I use to work at a home/car audio shop.

Those 170db systems I think use multiple 5-10K watt amps... with a wall of subs. Doesn't adding a 2nd driver add 3db if the power stays the same? Been so long I forget. But if 100w does 100db with a single 12 then that same 100w going into a pair of 12's would equal 103db? Dam it's been to long.........

With the proper amp you can make ineffecient amps play loud
Viggen900

If I remember right adding a second sub adds 6DB I believe

Just out of curiousity does anyone have experience with Focal Utopia Car speakers and subs, I am currently running original Focal Utopia 6.5 Component speakers with a zapco Z350-C2SL I believe or something close in model bridged running 350 watts to my midrange, A Diamond D7402 (400 Watt a channel Class AB) to my subwoofers, and I need a Tweeter Amp as I am currently using a Alpine Deck booster type thing. My main issue is space, I never got around to another amp as I ran out of money and had little space left, Something thats an old school classic cheater amp thats not that big. Thanks a million Toby
look on youtube and you will see plenty of cars hitting over 160db and 170db. you dont sit in the vehicle at these competitions! these cars use multiple alternators and batteries along with thousands of watts. plus they have bulletproof glass and heavily reinforced bracing in the vehicles. the tone bursts they play only last a few seconds, just to register on the meter.