How loud is loud, What DB is actually loud?

I like I should say love old school rock and hip/hop rap and funk all kinds of music. I found out my dads listening level is around 75DB which i find to be completley unsatisfying.

I was looking up Quad esl's and everyone says witha 85DB rating they wont go loud, but how loud is loud, How loud is rocking out?
128x128systembuilder
Elizabeth - I have a good set of phones - I just prefer my listening via the speakers. Give me the airy soundstage any day. Phones are the absolute last resort for me.
Jet noise? I was at Rose Parade when the B-2 just idled over. You could hear it for another 30 seconds after it was gone. Close up, that thing's gotta be LOUD.

I also was at a landing and takeoff of a Concord. That was maybe the loudest thing I've ever heard. Ear covering loud, even.

But, bang for buck? A Harrier just 10 feet off the ground hovering there. Visit an airshow that has one.
I never sat it it at full volume.... this was back almost 20yrs ago that I was into car audio a lot. Adcom amps (which I still have), Denon CD player.... etc.. I wanted a Mcintosh amp but they were just so expensive..... out of my budget so I stuck with Adcom. I then tried Adcom at home.... their car stuff is or I guess was a lot better

It really isn't difficult to get 140+ in a car but yea, totally stupid to sit in it when hitting those numbers. I use to work at a home/car audio shop.

Those 170db systems I think use multiple 5-10K watt amps... with a wall of subs. Doesn't adding a 2nd driver add 3db if the power stays the same? Been so long I forget. But if 100w does 100db with a single 12 then that same 100w going into a pair of 12's would equal 103db? Dam it's been to long.........

With the proper amp you can make ineffecient amps play loud
Viggen900

If I remember right adding a second sub adds 6DB I believe

Just out of curiousity does anyone have experience with Focal Utopia Car speakers and subs, I am currently running original Focal Utopia 6.5 Component speakers with a zapco Z350-C2SL I believe or something close in model bridged running 350 watts to my midrange, A Diamond D7402 (400 Watt a channel Class AB) to my subwoofers, and I need a Tweeter Amp as I am currently using a Alpine Deck booster type thing. My main issue is space, I never got around to another amp as I ran out of money and had little space left, Something thats an old school classic cheater amp thats not that big. Thanks a million Toby