Linear Power supplies for DACs...?

Is there real SQ benefits or is it placebo snake oil?
i have a Chord Qutest and it has a wall wart. Lots of people say there’s real benefit to adding an external LPS. 
Plenty of choices ranging from $50 - $500.
Sure, a home audition is ideal.

but, what do you guys think?

Not just for the Qutest, but in general for DACs.
ianrmack
Post removed 
+1 @steakster 

Every LPS I've had experience with has improved upon the supplied stock SMPS. 

As I've moved up the LPS ladder: improved outcomes.

Moving from stock DC cables to custom DC cables: improved outcomes.

Isolating the LPS: improved outcomes.

Changing power cables to the LPS: changes in results and when paired with the right power cable > improved outcomes.

Feeding the LPS via a custom power supply / power conditioner: improved outcomes.

I'm afflicted with a preponderance of misfortune in improved outcomes. I should read more and listen less.
 I also added a VPI brick on top of the LPS transformer. Seems to help smooth things out. Strange.
@mkgus,  what does VPI claim the benefits of the brick are when added to a power supply?

I don’t know what VPI claims. I always go back to this quote from @dgarretson in another thread:

I read in one of my father's old MSEE textbooks from the golden age of hifi in the 50's, that a block of iron or other magnetic material in proximity to a transformer will improve coupling action between the primary & secondary windings.

SMPS  can be better depends on who makes it and what it's  in.

THIS MYTH GOES SOMETHING LIKE THIS:

"Switching supplies are noisy."

"Linear power supplies are best for audio."

We disagree!

About 5 years ago, Benchmark stopped putting linear power supplies into our new products, and we replaced them with switching power supplies. We did this because linear supplies are too noisy. Yes, you read that correctly, linear supplies are noisy! A well-designed switching power supply can be much quieter than a linear supply.