Old FM Tuners....O.K., Great or Folklore...

You can name most of them, Like the Sansui 719 and more. Has anyone actually had the chance to compare an older well thought of tuner to the better current manufactured units..like Magnum Dynalab..etc.? The high end Audio hobby/passion is filled with nostalga. As an example, I put much money into a 1960 Corvette..when done my Dad said, "you know what you have there.....an old car". When I got some newer cars I learned he was right. So is older audio gear more than a trip down memory lane? And I know there are some classic models from ARC, CJ and more..... so ie: are some old classics simply old classics compared to more current high end technology and components within those units? Just asking.
whatjd
I have several, including a McIntosh 77 and a Scott tube tuner. But in my area (Tampa/St.Pete) there are only two FM stations with a signal/music program worth listening to. WUSF 89.7 (NPR and late-night Jazz) and WSMR 89.1/103.7 (NPR Classical). All the rest are commercial dreck.
Presently have the Mitsubishi (Diatone) DA-F10 (1977) tuned to WUSF 89.7. A real "sleeper" tuner with advanced circuitry and can be found for less than $200! Sound quality equal to tuners costing 10X!
I also have a Carver receiver with the same FM circuit. And a NAD 1600 preamp/tuner.
roberjerman3,370 posts   Your post is painfully true.  Not only is the FM dial filled with former AM mainstream.....I will use the word I would in a live converstation,...crap.  Beyond the content you have the concern if the signal is compressed or frequency limited artificially...FM, as does AM, has it's actual limitations without being made worse. 

Boy I could say the FM band is like much of America's taste in many things, mainstream is actually a cesspool rather than a stream. 

I did have the Mitsubishi DA-F20 ....and wish I had it back.  One of the best I have had, which includes the top Magnums, Fanfare and the like.