Seriously considering tube preamp…opinions?

Tube virgin, here. I am building a system and I'm trying to contain the preamp/amp cost to $3k or so. (I could go up a little.) 

I'm inclined not to dive into tubes all the way through, but get a solid state on the output end. (Open to suggestions; inclined toward PS Audio, Parasound.) I'm reading around about tube preamps and have talked with my local dealer, who sells Black Ice/Jolida and Prima Luna (PL). He used to carry Rogue but said they kept coming back for repairs. That's why he carries PL.

I'm asking these questions after having established (via reviews, comments) that Schiit gear is quite the value. Lately, I've been reading about Decware and other small tube makers. I'm very curious about buying direct, if possible, and a company that stands behind their products is crucial.

So, your opinions about tube integrated or *especially* tube preamps —

1. Who do you like? Consider I want to do pre/amp for a total of $3k if possible.

2. Do you think PL is worth all that money just for a preamp? I get the feeling they're high quality but a bit over-hyped. (No disrespect to the highly passionate Kevin Deal, but he's all over my search results.) And what would you think about $2k/$1k preamp-to-amp spending ratio?

3. Any sense of what happened to Jolida since the name change to "Black Ice"? I see there's a sordid story there but did the re-branding clear up the mess? Any experiences with the Black Ice company?

4. I know there are many Schiit fans out there; so my question would be -- did anyone consider Schiit for tube preamp and go another way? Or move beyond Schiit for any particular reason? It's hard not to just capitulate and do a Freya+ or Saga+ but why wouldn't one just go with Schiit?

128x128hilde45
Thanks, all, for your reflections. From the get-go, I have not felt a lot of help from this person (nice enough, but young, late 20s or 30s); there’s a kind of impatience with the sales process that makes me feel that I’m over-staying my welcome. It’s a vibe I got. Emails, also, didn’t fully answer my questions — and I did not ask that many. Kept steering me toward what was in stock. Never mentioned other products in the line they actually carry.

@decooney Thanks for the explanation about the non-remote QS. Noted for future reference. Also, they DO have the Quicksilver Mid Mono Amp. Maybe I just suck it up and get QS separates? That would work with any speakers, right?

@tvad After finding myself really psyched about the tube experience, I’m now concerned that you are outlining a real, forced dilemma: give up the speakers or give up the tubes. Or at least give up all-tubes. Some tubes is still possible, if the match is right. Pass labs is beyond my price range and it almost seems silly to outmatch the speakers by so much, no?

Ok, so at this point, it is seeming all-tube QS separates or solid state or still investigating a pair up.

I wish this dealer was a bit better — or at least the salesperson. It’s hard to push away from someone who’s is working with you in the store, but I suppose I could reach out to the owner? Or, as Tvad said, just move on to another dealer or distributor for the QS stuff. (Any recommendations on QS dealers?)
Post removed 
@Tvad, you make an excellent point. And I will definitely think hard about the Pass Labs integrated amplifier. The hard question would be if I’m going tubes or not.

That said, you were making a larger point about investing for the longer term. By rejecting the QS integrated at 20 wpc as under-powered (which I heard yesterday and really enjoyed) I think I’m already starting to enact your advice, but in a cautious piecemeal way. You’re saying, "don’t go half-ass" on what is a sound trajectory — toward quality gear.

My thinking against such a high dollar purchase was that I need to live with solid state or tubes or hybrid for a while before knowing what I really want. Paying $6k or whatever, now, much now makes the experiment feel riskier than paying $3k. I guess it all gets re-sold at some point, though, so best not to dwell on the purchase price.
Post removed 
@hilde45, 
@decooney Thanks for the explanation about the non-remote QS. Noted for future reference. Also, they DO have the Quicksilver Mid Mono Amp. Maybe I just suck it up and get QS separates? That would work with any speakers, right?

Key Question (speakers): 
Well, back to square-1 questions.  Are you 100% settled on Salk Wow1s, done, and ordered?  Its not an issue, need to know for sure to help more. 

Personally, in that situation and (IF) you go with Quicksilver, I'd recommend going with the QS Mono 60s (vs Mid Monos) so you have a future-proof upgrade path for larger speakers later. It might happen.  I like the QS Mid Monos (partial triode) but they need to be matched with the right speakers, say above 90db.  84db from Salk Wow1s might be better served with QS Mono 60s or Mono 120s, amps alone being beyond your started $3,000 budget. Back to speakers question above. 

INITIAL COST vs. Amortized cost over a long term:  
If you buy the right preamp and amplifier (right from the get-go) - (tube or ss), amortize that initial cost over 10-20 years vs. a five year purchase buying a lesser amp you'll upgrade again in 5 years anyhow. Return on investment also has to do with longevity too, avoiding upgradeitis later.  It's not just about the initial purchase price.  I ran my last SS amps for 20 years, loved them. Very nice, but not tube though.