Comparison of latest DAC chips

I own a Bluesound Node 2i which greatly improved sound after I added the Cat 6 cable.  I do not own a separate DAC but am told it would be the next step improvement.  I have done enough reading that it appears the two latest chips are the Sabre or ESS ES9038PRO and the AK4499.  The brands I have looked at are Sabaj d5($469) and a Topping D90($699).  I saw a great review on Audiocircle of the Sabaj D5 which is now a year old.  The Topping D90 is newer and I hear the build quality of the Topping as well as customer service are both better.   Other brands cost more and most don't use these new chips. 

Is there a difference in how these chips sound?  I would appreciate any comments. 
128x128daledeee1
@daledeee1   as far as filters I ve been using whatever  default values there are ...Have not played with them extensively

I got the D90 hooked up.  I already had good sound stage.  This thing just adds more.  No drifting of image, more air with wall to wall sound. and at times(depending on recording) I felt like I was in a holographic sphere of sound.  I opened my eyes to make sure where the speaker sits.  Everything just sounds rich and beautiful. 

When I got it I could not get it to turn on.  The manual is a rough translation and could use some work.  It will not power up unless there are interconnects with signal going through them.  Also, the instructions are backwards for the voltage setting. 

So far, everything I have done to my system has been a step up.  The next step would be very expensive and I will sit right here for awhile.  Famous last words. 
@daledeee1 It does not need a manual.. Any audiophile worth his/her salt will figure out its menus, the menu is very simple .....
It will turn on without interconnects, you need to to turn the AUTO setting OFF from the MENU option....

I suggest give it at least 250 hours of break in with music (not just keeping it plugged in) for "serious" evaluation.... But even right out of the box that thing is something extraordinary one can tell !!! AND FUN!!!! Enjoy !
Hey daledeee1,

am in similar shoes as you. Have the Bluesound node 2i and am considering adding a topping d90 to the chain. Would you let me know if there was a noticeable difference in the sound when listening to Bluesound node 2i direct as against when listening through topping d90, and was that difference for the better in terms of over all sound quality? Any negatives of adding the d90?

thanks!
Hi charan11. 

I have listened to the D90 about 4 hours so far. This is the first stand alone DAC I have ever owned. 

I don't want to down play the Node 2I.  I think it is a pretty good item considering it cost me $420, 

I bought a $30 coax and plugged in the Topping into the Schiit Aegir power amp. Right out of the box it sounded better. There is a way to bypass the preamp but for now I am running it at full volume. I haven't spent much time evaluating the 6 filter settings. It has a better, wider, taller sound stage with accuracy and clarity.  Differences in placement of percussion is easily recognized.  Good tight bass, wonderful piano and vocals which I think are difficult to get right.  Bass guitar string vibrations I have never heard before.

I am kind of rusty on all this audio stuff since I just replaced my whole system in the last few months.  Oh how times have changed.  I have a kind of old school speaker set up.  Big Bob Crites boxes with horn mid and tweeter with a couple powered sub woofers There is no evidence of speaker anywhere in the listening experience.

There are several other brands to look at, most cost more.  From what I have been reading and am experiencing, value and performance is pretty high with the D90. 

Apos Audio is excellent to deal with.  I got my piece from Hong Kong is 7 calendar days.  They price matched, kept me updated, helped me with operator error, added a year warranty and have 30 day return.  They don't sell a wide variety of stuff but are good to deal with.