Bits Are Bits, Right?

So I'm currently heading down the path of exploring which CD-Rs sound best in my CD player, along with what burn speeds sound best and what CD burners make the best CDs. I already know from my research that the more accurately the pits are placed on the CD (e.g. less jitter in the recorded data), the better chance I stand at getting the CD to sound good. There is a counter-argument to this idea that goes something like this: "Bits are bits and as long as the CD player can read them, the accuracy of the spacing doesn't matter because everything is thrown into a buffer which removes the effect of any jitter written into the data during burning." I know I don't agree with that logic, but for the life of me I can't remember the technical reasons. I know I used to know. Haha! 

So who here knows why buffers don't solve all of our problems in the digital realm? How come timing accuracy matters in the stages before the data buffer?
128x128mkgus
GK
I see that stand up comedy routine you were harping on about REALLY is working out for you.
Keep it up!
+2, @ozzy62.

Please don’t let this thread turn into digital vs. Vinyl never ending debate.  I see couple of vinyl fanboys already chimed in....they just can’t help themselves spewing their hatred for digital.

“I was driving down the road with a friend when they plugged the phone into the car and the sound quality was much better than usual. I asked what they did, and I found out they were playing songs off the phone’s “hard drive,” whereas I am usually streaming from Tidal. Same data, way different sound”.

@mkgus,

The SQ of a track greatly depends on source of master file, listen to ‘Hotel California’ from Hotel California 40th Anniversary Expanded Edition (2017) album first, then listen to the same song from Hell Freezes Over (Remaster 2018) album.

Looking forward to your feedback!