Any difference in SQ from USB drive storage to NAS playback?

Not sure if there is any difference in theory but.....

Should there be any difference in SQ of files played back through a USB hard drive or flash drive plugged directly into back of my streamer.
Vs the same ripped files accessed by internet from a  NAS?

128x128uberwaltz
One possible problem scenario with a usb attached drive might be if the computer is both a server and streamer and the USB drive attached results in the computer producing more noise that introduces jitter in the streamer to DAC interface.

That is a unique case where a single device serves as both music server and streamer. I can only speculate that might possibly be a factor in some cases but even if so should be manageable with a good design.

I use USB drives on my music server PC but I have separate streamer devices that connect wirelessly to the server. This is a very good configuration IMHO because the streamer is far away from the home computer with no vulnerable wired connection and home computers can certainly introduce noise capable of producing jitter on the feed to a DAC.

So it is always possible in this case one connection behaves better than another due to noise differences but even if so that does not mean that one approach is better than the other categorically. That would be jumping to conclusions.

Also note that most good quality modern DACS are designed to be jitter resistant so the likelihood of an audible issue is even less in that case.

mapman
Usb 2 bandwidth is ~480 million bits per second.

Cd resolution music bitrate is 1.4 million bits per second.

No problem. Not even close.

>>>>>Actually neither of those are bandwidths, they’re signaling rates, assuming the numbers are correct which they’re probably not.
Anyone can look those numbers up for themselves  with google if in doubt.

...so Uber looking back at your original question your configuration with uSB connected direct to streamer fits the bill. Your streamer is serving as both a music server and streamer with usb attached so it could produce more noise and jitter that impacts the digital to analog conversion process than a NAS. The reverse could be the case as well, especially with a wired internet connection to NAS, or there could be no difference at all. Could vary case to case, streamer to streamer. The devil is always in the details.  One would have to try both ways to know.