Sent Back the Pro-ject Turntable: What would be the best option in the $1800 range?

I wasn't crazy about the sound quality so I sent it back. 

chakster recommended this TT:

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-bIi2JMnJMvh/p_133SL1210B/Technics-SL-1210GR.html?XVINQ=GLX&awkw=812097800294&awat=pla&awnw=g&awcr=380681032017&awdv=c&awug=9004477&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_PTgksS_5wIVGYiGCh1ETAyrEAQYASABEgKQLfD_BwE

What are the recommendations of other audiogoners at that price range?

TIA
klimt
I'm a little surprised that no one mentions Clearaudio.  I'm guessing the majority dislike belt drive.  I bought a Champion Level Two with the Unify carbon fiber tonearm in 2002 and I still love it.  Currently using a Benz Micro Wood SL.  But this is beside the OP's point.  Clearaudio's entry level with their house mm or mc cartridges review very well.  What do you think?
It would be only fair to point out to kimt that all 3 cartridges on your list, Chakster, would be at least 30 or more years old at this point in time.  To find an NOS one would be serendipitous for sure, but also one would be taking a chance on the condition of the suspension of such a cartridge, which would be expected to have deteriorated, even if NOS. In fact, it's certain that any sample of any of those 3 cartridges will have "changed" sonically since the date of its manufacture. This change could be OK or more likely not OK.  While I share your admiration for those 3 cartridges, and I own them all, I suspect there are many modern cartridges, recently manufactured, and in the same price range, which would be less risky to invest in.  For examples: Nagaoka, Audio Technica, etc.
Just checked Music Directs price.
CLEARAUDIO - Concept Black Turntable with Concept Tonearm (MM Cartridge) Turntables Price $1,800.00
$1600 for the table and arm only.
They also have a 60 day return policy.
While I share your admiration for those 3 cartridges, and I own them all

You own them all ? You like them @lewm ?
Thousands people own them and use them too, and feedbacks all over the internet, except maybe SONY XL-50 (a very nice cartridge).

Would be nice to read your comment about SONY XL-50 MM is you have it.

Grace is probably the most popular, honestly i have never seen a bad sample of Grace, suspension always fine, i owned F-9E, F-9U, F-9F, various F14 models too and so on ... up to LEVEL II. As you know i like Grace and collect them. If you think the suspension is dried out a bit, then maybe a compliance is a bit lower now, but originally it is very high compliance. But i never seen a softened suspension on any Grace samples out of many samples. And you’re the one who use SoundSmith Grace, so there is a person who even produce NEW styli for Grace. Just look HERE> Brand new styli (not a retip of the old one) available from SoundSmith and he made them. One of the reason i can recommend Grace for a novice.

Personally i'm ready to buy as many original Grace styli as i can before they are gone. It was such a great company and they gave their customers so many options (so many different styli/cantilevers, we discussed it before). 

Old Pickering is also extremely popular cartridges, on another forum anyone can find a "fan club" of Pickering/Stanton where people share knowledge. Why i never seen any sample with bad suspension? I think the design is just right, so using them in 21st century is not a problem. About service: Expert Stylus & Cartridge Co in UK specialized in Stanton/Pickering repair, their stylus Paratrace is the closest to Stereohedron. Anyone can contact them by email ( info at expertstylus.co.uk ), my communication with them was very nice. I think our friend @nandric retipped some of his best LOMC with them.

There is no risk to invest in cartridges if you know where to buy them, or your formula can be applied to anything vintage (tubes, turntables, speakers). Why people buying vintage gear in 21st century ? Because in many cases it’s better and often cheaper. And it’s cool.

P.S. New MM cartridges like Nagaoka and AT are always in the shops, they can wait... nothing special