Through unfortunate circumstances........

Many years ago as a young sprite, I knew a gentleman in the Air Force who was engaged to mother that was in the Army. He was born in Germany as his father was in the Air Force as well so it was fitting that he ended up back in Germany during his enlistment. While there he was able to assemble a wonderful array of electronics and brought them back to the states at the end of his deployment. He had a Pioneer system that only 2 people could touch... him & I. Talk about loud in proud!! I always said that when I turned on Rush, not only did I enjoy it but so did the rest of the block lol

Fast forward to 2020 and now I own the Pioneer Spec1 & 2 pre/amp and I will enjoy putting a system together starting with these & will enjoy a little of my youth as both he & my mother have gone home. So there in lies the question. With the 1976 technology was, can I put a modern A/V receiver on this without getting a separate DAC? As I said, there's no system yet but I do have the beginning pieces. The A/V receiver I have currently is the Yamaha HTR-5660 that has speaker outputs that I could cable into the tuner jacks of the preamp. Considering digital wasn't a thing in '76 and I may already know the answer, I thought I'd ask anyway.

I have a Pioneer CD (PD-F906) player & equalizer (SG-9800) so I know these will be a part of the system, but need to make sure the CD is compatible. I know it's not the greatest thing but it is my thing nonetheless. Thank you gentlemen

vista1868
Don't worry about the capacitor condition of the Spec1/2. In my considerable experience buying/selling vintage gear I have never had a problem with capacitor deterioration/failure in solid state gear. You can get a variac and plug the Spec1/2 into it. Starting at 1 volt slowly ramp up the AC voltage over a 6 hour period. This will allow the power supply caps to gently reform after an extended period of unuse.
Damn, I pressed the wrong button on my computer. DAC 1 PRE is what I wanted to say. It was $500, and on the old side, but it sure sounds great.

Best of luck, regards,
Dan
@ roberjerman any particular model you recommend? And don't worry, this is not going anywhere. With your vintage experience you'd likely be a fun conversation

@islandmandan thanks for the recommendation