Done selling on eBay, they are demanding my social security number to sell

They are forcing everyone into what they call "Managed payments" that requires  you to give them bank account information and your social security number. Looks like I'll be selling here from now on. I know I gave it to PayPal years ago so they have it, but I'm done giving it out. I called and the rep told me they are legally required to have it in order for me to sell. That is a load of crap.
herman
I just looked this up. It is currently available to limited sellers on an invitation only basis. They say they want the majority of sellers on managed payments by 2021. It is NOT a current requirement and I don’t know if it ever will be. If you are a high volume seller it might make sense as you will save a small percentage of fees. I don’t plan on signing up for this at all. 
Interesting  I just sold two items on ebay and used paypal but no SS was reuqired.
I was told by the eBay rep   that they are eventually moving everyone to managed pay. Once you are migrated, PayPal will not be an option for you to accept payments on eBay. Not everyone at once, but the goal is to get it done over the course of this year. So sooner or later you will either agree to be migrated to this program or you will not be able to sell. 

I guess I will eventually give in. In preparation, I opened a checking account to be used only for PayPal and eBay so they won't have access to my primary account. 
herman

Thank You for sharing this important information. It is going to be interesting to learn how eBay changes their payment option(s).
Prior to the eBay/Paypal union, I used to pay sellers via postal money order. Never had an issue.

Happy Listening!