Looking to get the best out of Redbook Cd listening with Dac a d Transport under 5K?

Hi guys! Ex Audiophile out of touch for many years now! Looking to purchase Dac and Transport to listen to my large Cd collection! Not sure where to go! Thanks Larry
128x128goldenears19
Good used laptop -$400-$500
JRiver Media Center -- $50
Decent USB Cable like Wireworld 
Used Benchmark DAC2 - $1000
Rip CD's thru JRiver to  FLAC and you're good to go for CD's.  Then browse over to Radio Paradise (set stream to FLAC) and then try the free trial of Qobuz or Tidal.

I have Windows Remote Desktop running from my Android tablet to the laptop, and configured the laptop to bridge between Ethernet and wireless, so I can use Ethernet for stream sources, and use Wireless to remote the tablet.  Now sitting in the chair effortlessly choosing  between stream input and ripped Cd and getting spectacular sound.  I just like the Windows User Interface, and the browser let's me find lots of sound sources (like reading news about artists that has links to their songs or albums..)

I've yet to be convincd that a dedicated streamer improves SQ significantly over a Laptop when you're going into something as good as a Benchmark DAC...but I'm open-minded.

Wow! A lot to swallow here! Thank you for steering me clear from the used Chord set up! Not sure it sound! But too Spacey looking for me! Why is it that Digital is so darn expensive! I enjoyed the hobby for many years and was in the business but now I don't want to belong to the "Amp of the Month Club". I still have my Turntable but like the convience and hands on approach of playing my music! I love my Atma-Sphere Triode Tube Amps and am not into spending money I don't have anyone; I have other hobbies too! I'm an old Soul I guess! I have a 1972 Porsche with a 327 small block! The cornering was the best in the 914 but the power lacked! So someone decided a V8 would kick ass in that car! So I understand Mods! All my Hi Fi pieces  are Modified! So I am always up for that with my Digital looking into what Parts are being used etc. So bring it on but keep it reasonably priced! 
Electroslacker the laptop vs dedicated streamer is old news. 

A computer laptop is  not designed as a high end music source and so there is noise injected into the data stream, that noise is picked by the dac and helps pollute the data stream, a laptops motherboard is not designed to isolate the USB port from the noise of the CPU or the switched mode powersupply.

We did the very same demo for a client a laptop playing Roon and Tidal same USB cable and then switched over to the Innous server night and day increase in sound stage size, width, and tonal liqudity and sense of ease.

We only recommend a laptop as a stop gap, and the Benchmark dacs are good, there are way better dacs. Personally I would take an Ifi DSD pro over the Benchmark anyday and it is the same price. 

The Bricasti M3 which we recommended or the T+A DAC 8 DSD are both leagues above the less expensive dacs.

Dave and Troy
Audio Doctor NJ Bricasti, IFI, T+A dealers

I can vouch for a Innuos ZEN + Aqua la Voce combo. 
Zen will completely change the way you listen to the music, and la Voce is a killer DAC for the money, it is a modern NOS R2R ladder DAC with organic, natural, dynamic sound that was simply beyond digital converters some 5-10 years ago. And I love this combo, it has real synergy sound wise. ZEN Mini would be good as well, but ZEN Mk 3 is the one to go for if you are willing to spend 2 grand on it. It does sound better than a Mini+LPSU. I have a great hi-end CDP, never switch in on since I got this combo. To me CDPs are dead, they just don't know about it.