Comparing systems through phone recordings

Dear Audiogon friends,

Consider how convenient it would be, if we could exchange sound clips, recordings of how our systems sound in our room, on the web. At Audiogon I get audio friends and contacts whose systems I would love to hear, but they live miles away, or even halfway around the world. The chance that I can come and listen to their system "live" in their listening room is close to zero. So what about, exchanging recordings, instead?

Ten or five years ago, I would have said, forget it, it cannot be done.The drawbacks were too large. Now? I am no longer so sure. Mobile phone technology has advanced. True, I maybe cannot hear the finer nuances of a stereo setup and how it interacts with the room, in a "lowly" mobile phone recording, but I can hear some main characteristics. For example, how my speakers sound compared to my friend’s speakers.

I have tested this concept a bit with other A-goners, using their mobiles to record the same track, playing in their room, recording from their listening position. The results are interesting. They do show differences, even with the limited recording capability, poor mic's, lowgrade file formats, etc.

Anyone else who has tried this?

Ag insider logo xs@2xo_holter
Yesterday I watched OCD hifi guys latest video posted . It was comparing a song from his cd player ,

Mike has a very good rig but he has done AB comparison polls on his YouTube channel and people have posted results, he commented on the OP exact opinion how bizarre you could get an idea of good sonics on phone recordings, now he is using I think a more sophisticated recorder not just the a phone.

Funny, I just did this last night. I was curious how the iPhone would capture the system. It wasn't too bad really. The Zoom video digital recorders do a killer job of capturing a room live. X/Y mics. If you get the gain right, they work very, very well.
On the plus side: its free and easy to do, and even if it does not come close to the direct listening experience (and cannot be used for strict A/B comparison), it can give a rough idea of the sonic signature of each system. On the minus side - all the things mentioned above.
Two dilemmas: 1) I can get better recordings using Rode mics into a Steinberg UR22. However, then I would not follow the mobile "standard", it would depend on the others using the same or a very similar recording setup.
2) Comparing system A and B by playing the B recording through A is obviously not ideal, since the B sound will be ’tainted’ by the A sound. In fact its amazing that the differences are notable at all. Yet I hear them. My friend with the B system has much more costly speaker drivers than I have, and I can hear it, especially in the treble. I think this is due to the fact that the sound changes in the mid region, which the mobile pics up, although it cannot fully capture low bass or high treble. In order to avoid the two-in-one problem I've used another system C to test A and B recordings. C is a small (OTL + single driver speakers) home office system. In practice, I hear much the same differences between A and B whether I play them on system C or A (except for bass, which is limited on C). 

One more minus: on some phones, including my p30pro, the sound is better in video than in sound-only recordings. No idea why, but this phone is extremely focused on visual/camera performance, while the sound is almost like an afterthought (e g it only records in mono). I see that the video recordings can be 100mb or so for a couple of minutes, while the sound-only is 1 or 2mb. So, clearly, a much lower level sound format. Further, converting the large mp4 video file into a sound-only file (as lossless as possible) is a problem I haven’t solved yet.
When I do the Teleportation Tweak over the phone 📱I can hear the sound change even as I’m in the middle of doing it, even over a couple satellite 🛰 hops, as long as the customer has the system on at the time, which actually isn’t a requirement. More of a curiosity thing. Yes, I realize one could argue it’s the performance of the phones that’s improving.
You have entered a world of mystery and imagination. It is a dimension as vast as space and as empty as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. The signpost ahead, you have entered the geoffkait zone.