Audio Rack Selection

Putting together a new system and an upgraded audio rack will be part of the package. Would love to know your thoughts on the issue? Is there a true need to buy upper tier racks?

The rack will need to hold a McIntosh C2600 preamp, 2 monoblocks, power conditioner and a turntable. Flooring in the room is hardwood.

Would love your thoughts and recommendations.

bhaudiophile
Hi, have you seen the beautiful hardwood racks from Timbernation in PA?  My new rack is strong, beautiful, reasonable, and holds similar equipment.  I modified his stock dimensions to slightly deeper and bigger clearances.  Love it.  Tiger Maple shelves with Walnut rails. He built it in two weeks and shipped free to my door. No more sagging bookshelf under my BHK amp!  Ken
If you choose a wooden audio rack, go to a local woodworker and talk to him. You show him a picture and specific dimensions you want then ask him the board footage for the material. Go to this website to choose the wood and order online.https://www.woodworkerssource.com/search.html?Search=bubinga. Bubinga, Wenge or Zebra costs approximately $25 per board foot. 30 board feet plus shipping costs about $1000. This is a 2-4 hour job, or $1,500 max material and labor. The cost difference is on the word "high-end audio rack" just like cables.
the best rack systems I’ve owned for two channel systems, TV set ups, speaker stands,  etc. have all been custom made 

we are friends with a couple excellent wood workers which allows us to custom design racks that work specific to our gear; saves space and allows us to specify wood species, finish, etc. 

draw up what you want and need then meet with some custom wood workers for quotes 
Several responses are leaning towards wood racks.

At first thought I had not considered wood as an option, more from an aesthetics standpoint than any other reason. The heavy nature of the wood tends to dominate the look and the audio pieces take second notice. The metal racks allow the audio to appear more prominent.

Unless the sound improvements were considerably better with wood then I would apt to lean towards metal or another material that is less bulky than wood.