Considering getting a CD player (again). Used? New? Criteria?

After years without one, I'm considering getting a CD player. I'm not against streaming, but I have many CD's and would like the simplicity of just playing them from time to time. I probably want to cap my expenditure at $700, or so, because this won't be the only way I play music.

A few questions:
If you've purchased a new CD player, what did you buy? Why?
If you've purchased a used player, how old is too old? What factors helped you choose?

My concern with used is that the transport mechanism of older players will be getting tired, and this won't be knowable just because a unit "checks out" with the site (or individual) testifying to the player's working condition. There's got to be an average point for many machines to give up the ghost, mechanically (varying from machine to machine, of course).
128x128hilde45
Bitfrost multibit on US Audio Mart - been there awhile, since I got mine. May take less. Just FYI. I use an Audioquest coax. Reasonable price to match DAC and CD player. Have fun with those CDs!
I would get an Oppo BDP 103.  Solid machine, older tech but so are your CDs and it plays SACDs if you want the best of CD listening.  It also plays blueray and DVDs.  $ 649.00 on Amazon.  If Music is your main interest the BDP-83 works just as well for half the price. $299.  Its made and serviced in the USA and customer service is unparalleled.
someone whose audio expertise i respect convinced me that glass optical is better than the standard plastic optical so at his suggestion i got this for $30 on amazon: "3 Ft Toslink Glass Digital Audio." Whether or not it's actually superior or mere placebo I can't attest, but it's well-made and does the job
Thanks for these additional suggestions. I'm starting to go audition new amps, etc. too.