Vintage DD turntables. Are we living dangerously?

I have just acquired a 32 year old JVC/Victor TT-101 DD turntable after having its lesser brother, the TT-81 for the last year.
TT-101
This is one of the great DD designs made at a time when the giant Japanese electronics companies like Technics, Denon, JVC/Victor and Pioneer could pour millions of dollars into 'flagship' models to 'enhance' their lower range models which often sold in the millions.
Because of their complexity however.......if they malfunction.....parts are 'unobtanium'....and they often cannot be repaired.
128x128halcro
@chakster 
I have that huge service manual and to my surprise TT-101 motor does not require lubrication !

If anyone believes that "I have a bridge" and all that.
Hi all, great combination.
I took my TT-101 back in hand two months ago, after the technician failed a couple of years ago.

First of all, I eliminated all the wire wrap connections by switching to a practical plug-in plug-in system in order to have the pcb in hand and to be able to work in complete tranquility without fear of tearing some wires.
All cables have been coded with the name engraved on the PCB.
Then I went to the full recap,
replacement of all trimmers (I’m waiting for some from Mouser) re past all the welds (some very bad)
put the horrible high voltage connection system with a new pcb into electrical safety.
In a few weeks I will apply the missing pieces and try to turn on the turntable.

before
https://i.postimg.cc/7PFwMWmc/1.jpg

after
https://i.postimg.cc/8C52VRZM/DSCN6163.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/KYwHSdkh/DSCN6167.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/T1Fwr2hH/P1010327.jpg

Platter continuing to rotate after you press the stop button is associated with calibration. A well calibrated turntable should stop pretty much dead when you press the stop button. But my TT101, which was calibrated by JP and works wonderfully, also moves an inch or two more after I press the stop button with an LP on the platter and a heavier than normal turntable mat (SAEC SS300) . I decided not to worry about this, because of the extra mass. If JP is anywhere around, perhaps he will comment.

The brake is calibrated with the mass of the mat and standard LP on the platter.  If the mass of the platter is higher than that it'll move a bit further after pressing stop.

Great news Chak...🎉
There is a regulation described in the manual for altering the STOP function to match your platter mat +LP.
I had my Tech do it for my lightweight Victor Pigskin mat which is far lighter than the standard Victor rubber mat with which the turntable normally arrives.
And having the platter 'check' with a slight backwards movement when the STOP button is pressed...is considered normal.
You're a lucky man.....but there are no guarantees for the future.
You'd be wise to blow-out all the old solder joints and do them all again as I did, if you wish to sleep peacefully.
Great, so i can experiment first with different mats and clamps to match my current settings. My 1st sample move backward a bit after stop. but my 2nd sample does not move backward or forward after stop, so i assume this is ideal. Anyway it does not bother me much, both are ok.

The platter is lightweight compared to others, is it allowed to use heavy mats like Micro Seiki CU-180 (1.8kg) or CU-500 (2.7kg) ? Or much lighter mass are better ?

Do you hear any high frequency pulsation coming from the electronics near the disk when the rotation is "on" ? I have it on one sample only, but i barely hear it, anyway it’s there.

Is it true that no lubrication needed for 40 y.o. unit ?

Thinking about the plinth i’ve been looking at this amazing finishing, i really like it (all my custom racks are same color), why not just paint original Victor plinth like that to refresh it ? It is automotive? I’m gonna use mine with At-616 pneumatic footers under the original Victor plinth. But i hope i can paint the plinth (if i will find who can offer such beautiful finishing), it is probably better than new veneer ?