Can you overpower a speaker

Hi there I am curious if it is possible to overpower a speaker. I want to bridge 2 200 watt a channel amps that are stable to one ohm into a pair of legacy focus 20/20's or a pair of mezzo utopias.

Id love to go VTL MB450's but man thats expensive, im sure worth it. I have read up and down the conrad johnson mf 200 is 2 and one ohm stable and if it can be bridged would put out whatever the wall will allow. I want ungodly amounts of power is that so bad? will it work.
128x128systembuilder
The above posters are correct that you can overpower a speaker - if you hear the voice coils bottom out, which creates a smacking sound like someone hitting a metal plate with a hammer, then you've dialed in too much power and have to reduce the volume ASAP.

In my opinion, however, you should absolutely avoid powerful amplifiers for other reasons. They achieve high power by using a lot of output transistors or output tubes, which requires the use of global negative feedback to control the circuit, feedback destroying dimensionality and imparting a lifeless quality to recordings - the ear is very sensitive to the ill effects of global feedback. In addition, all of those output devices complicate the circuit, taking away subtlety and transparency. Especially with a sensitive speaker like the Legacy, it makes no sense, none, to run a high-powered amp.

Don't worry about your inabilty to run VTL MB450's - this amp is the best example of the importance of output transformers to the performance of a tube amp - the MB vintage of VTL amps used notoriously cheap output transformers and cannot drive low impedance speakers. The Wotan or Brunhilde is like having a Corvette ZR-1 with the transmission of a '65 Beetle. They were so lousy that VTL offered better transformers as a retrofit and an option. VTL didn't enter the big leagues with regard to amps until the Siegfried.
Thanks Raquel I completely agree with your statement. I happen to be using a conrad johnson MF200 amp which employs a zero feedback design.

I have definetly bottomed out my subwoofers in my home and car a couple times and have learned to stear clear of going there, Although with an underpowered amplifier wouldnt the same thing thing happen or would it just clip alot?

Bummer about the VTL's I recently heard the seigfrieds and they were awesome and I was hoping I could go older and get close to that but I guess not.
Quality before quantity . Bi amping can be hard to make work well . Many folks , including myself have spent considerable time and money setting up bi amp systems only to prefer and return to a single . I was using two Levinson 200w amps , the extra power was not overwhelming ( +3db ) , in the end I preferred a single amp .
Do you really just gain volume output, I always noticed more a present shoved at you feeling with power, once you get to 200 watts to it just kind of "get louder"? really?
Do you really want anything shoved at you ? An overly forward presentation may not be welcome after a while . Know matter how closely I matched things , there was always a slight slurring , it was not something you could here right away . And the dynamics that many say you gain with power was not evident , in my case anyway . As far as to much power damaging a speaker , its not the size of your amps that will damage , its unreasonable use of the volume control that may hurt things . It didn't work for me , but that dosn't mean it won't work for you . Happy listening .