Help me understand John Coltrane .... seriously.

Hi Everyone,
Listen I have a favor to ask, and those of you better educated in Jazz can help me.

I always have a tough time listening to John Coltrane. It's like he's talking a different language.
Can any of you point me to recordings I should listen to on Tidal or Quboz or whatever that set me up to better appreciate the man?

Thank you for the musical education.

Best,

E
erik_squires
 If a tune isn't grabbing your attention emotionally, without questioning  "why" you  should Ilike it...
it isn't for you.

Well, that's true, don't buy / listen to what you don't like, but it is also true in art that the temporal and historical context a piece was written in and responding to is the language.

You might see a Picasso and think nothing of it, but if you study art history and see the discussion happening in art suddenly Picasso makes sense as a response.
Leaving art and music to personal taste in the moment may leave you impoverished.

Post removed 
“You might see a Picasso and think nothing of it, but if you study art history and see the discussion happening in art suddenly Picasso makes sense as a response.
Leaving art and music to personal taste in the moment may leave you impoverished.”

super-sage advice, Erik. I was lucky enough, I guess, to not have to “get” Coltrane, I just like his stuff. Certainly, he was one to push boundaries in his career. What are the tracks that puzzle you about him?

Dave
What are the tracks that puzzle you about him?

Almost all of it. I mean, of course I can listen to My Favorite Things, but it doesn't sound remarkable.... and the rest, I have a really tough time resonating with. A love supreme is honestly difficult for me.

So it's clear to me I am listening to him completely out of context and without an appreciation for what he brings extra to standards like My Favorite Things.

This thread is of course not to mock him, at all, but to try and hear enough of his world to hear him like others do.
Best,
E