Marantz SA-10 arriving Monday!

I've been hearing and reading all I can about this player during this last year. I have a 6005 right now and it's a nice player but not as good as my analog rig (10k) so it's not a fair comparison. Elizabeth mentioned that her SA-10 is better than her analog. I will be comparing the 2 SACD players side by side. I have at least 3 CD's in which I have duplicates. I'm fascinated about how the circuitry upsamples to DSD SACD. Well not exactly but somehow an improvement over Redbook CD. I have a 2" thick maple block coming in the same day for it. It's going to be a long weekend. I know it can't work miracles on all CD's. If there is jitter in the recording then supposedly you will never get that out. Speak up if I'm wrong about that.
128x128blueranger
Here is a repeat of a post I put on AudioAsylum.  This thread seems more active.

I will add that the player is still pretty new, and that I have not yet swapped out the supplied power cord with a Shunyata Venom that I have on hand.

Well, I finally gave in, and in an act of self-indulgence, ordered an SA10. It arrived Monday, and I'e been listening through it for a few hours by now. I must say that it sounds wonderful. I have not done any A/B comparisons with the SA14 (tedious and not fun), so my impressions are based only memory, but here they are, in brief. The main difference, I think, is the big improvement in imaging realism and especially depth and ambience. Singers and instruments, and the relations among them, are much more clearly placed. Before the SA14 I had an Onkyo CD player, which sounded okay but gave a very flat presentation. The SA14 was a big improvement, but still didn't come close to matching my vinyl setup in that regard on CD's (SACD's were better.) Two examples: 1: the wonderful Maazel recording of 'Enfant et les Sortileges" gives a marvelous feeling of where the singers and instruments are and of the enclosing space, esp. in the garden scene, and 2: Zizi Mueller's performance of Crumb's "Idyll for the Misbegotten. In the latter, on vinyl, the flute sounds very focussed but very distant (the score notes say "as if across a lake") The SA14 gave a sense of depth, but the SA10 does much more. In both the flute tone itself is very pure and beautiful, but the vinyl gives it more texture. In addition to better imaging, there is also better rendition of inner detail, both on SACD and CD's. The SACD version of Patricia Barber's rendition of "Summertime" on her"Distorsion of Love" is absolutely breathtaking: one can hear every subtle nuance of her phrasing and shaping, and the bass line is also excellent. Another example: the recording The Magic Flute (with Fischer-Dieskau and Schwarzkopf) now sounds fabulous on CD. I had written before that, through the SA14, the CD could not match the thrill of the vinyl recording. Now it comes close: spatially, and emotionally. Although, at least in my setup, the vinyl has a bit of extra thrill in the soprano voices, the CD version is just about as fun overall. I do think my cartridge is faster. For example, in the cat duet in l"Enfant, the "pfffft" sound is stunningly fast and clean on vinyl, but on the CD sounds breathier and a bit blurred.  

I have 60 days to decide if I want to keep the SA!0 or the SA14, and I suppose I really ought to do some A/B tests before deciding if the very great extra expense of the SA10 is worth it to me. So far, I think it is. However, I must say that the SA14 is very good and an outstanding value. If I send it back to Music Direct, someone should snap it up.
blueranger

as we kick off a new year, any new sonic discoveries via your SA-10 ?

Happy Listening!
Listening to the soundtrack of "The Big Chill" from 84 and the Marantz takes some of the shrill away. Some of the tracks are outstanding. "Good lovin" but "Tracks of my Tears" is very shrill. Coming from different sources it's understandable. Maybe some were early digital transfers
Big Chill was poorly mastered. But it also was out of absolute phase. If you are using XLR's with the SA-10 go to settings and check the phase and reverse it and listen. I check all my CD's to make sure my phase setting is correct. Some gear pin 2_is hot or cold depending on the gear, but many recordings including vinyl were recorded out of absolute phase. My Quad speakers really let you know when the phase settings are wrong. 
blueranger

Much Thanks! for the update. Yes, some of those 80's CDs were not well produced/recorded.

Happy Listening!