Interesting HDMI Problem: OPPO UDP-205

I have a McIntosh MX122, OPPO UDP-205, and a Sony Bravia OLED.   The OPPO is connected to the MX122 through both an HDMI connection (BluRay "in") and RCA patch cables (CD "in") so that I can use the OPPO DACs for listening to audio CDs.

The Sony is connected to the MX122 through the Monitor 1 output.

I've been having intermittent audio dropouts when using the analog connection to listen to audio CDs on the UDP-205.   I've finally traced the problem to the Sony Bravia.   The Sony implementation of Consumer Electronics Control (CEC) is called "Bravia Sync."

In the Bravia Sync menu, Sony does not provide an "OFF" setting.  They have "Enable" and...nothing to turn CEC "OFF."  What they have you do is delete the HDMI equipment list from the Sony CEC sub-menu.   This does NOT turn CEC "OFF" - it simply hides the expanded CEC menu as you no longer have an equipment list to control, while leaving the CEC feature / circuit active.

The CEC is active even when the Sony is turned "OFF," because, in reality - the Sony is on standby and only the screen has been turned off.  The electronics are still active because the Sony can be programmed to automatically turn itself "ON" when it senses a different piece of equipment turn on through the CEC / HDMI circuit.

What happens with the Sony turned "ON" or "OFF" is that the Sony constantly looks for equipment through the HDMI connection.   It's randomly looking for a friend and sending out a handshake signal.  This disrupts the UDP-205 as it's processing audio through its DACs and it momentarily times out to send a "Yeah stupid, I'm still here" response back to the Sony.

Haven't quite figured out where to go from here...as I don't have a resolution to the problem - but, I thought this might help someone else if they're having the same type of problem.

buckhorn_cortez
I have been struggling with my Oppo UDP205, Sony XBR75 940d, and Marantz 8805. At first, I could watch 4K Blu-Ray discs but when I tried to play an SACD it would play for a few minutes and then stop. Then, the same problem started with 4K discs. I sent the unit back to OPPO. They replied:

Your OPPO product is ready! We will ship your OPPO product back and send you a shipment notification e-mail with tracking information. We performed the following on your OPPO product:

• Diagnostics – Unable to confirm reported problem.
  • Problem Resolution - Based on the problem description, replaced decoder board. Please note that your player now has a new serial number: B210U81823123945.
  • Upgraded firmware to revision UDP20x-65-0131.
Passed standard post-repair diagnostics.

I just received the replacement 205 yesterday. Beautifully packed. I enjoyed a 4K movie, but when I tried an SACD, same problem. I wondered whether I needed to use analog interconnects instead of the HDMI connection for music. 

Any thoughts.    
Analog interconnects would solve it, or if you look up higher in this thread, an Atlona Etude will solve the issue for HDMI. I am going through this right now, just picked up a used Etude on eBay, placed it between my Oppo 203 and Sony XBR-65X850, and can confirm it works. I use the HDMI to stream DSD directly to the Marantz, which is only possible via HDMI. Does it sound that much different? I don't think so, but it's fun to play around with and pretend it sounds better.

For anybody still reading this thread that ever got an Oppo 20x player to work with an Etude and Sony TV, how was it connected? Per Atlona support, the Etude should go between the Oppo and the AVR (a Marantz), with the Oppo as HDMI in and the AVR as HDMI out. This is my config, but it only works with Audio out HDMI output from the Oppo and even then, it still cuts out about every 10 minutes. I learned the EDID of the TV directly cabled to the Etude and also whatever EDID I get when directly cabled to the AVR. I can't believe what I've already gone through to avoid leaving the TV on when using the Oppo to play music, but here we are.
I'm sorry it has taken me so long to find this thread.  I have the same problem with my Oppo UDP-205 connected to my NAD M17 which is connected to my Sony XBR-65X940D.  The problem occurs whenever I play audio discs (CD's, SACD's).  It isn't a problem with the TV turned on.  I just don't like having it on when not necessary.  For CD's, I resorted to using a digital cable but for SACD's, I guess I will just have to have the TV on.  Not a good solution but it is what it is.
 @esmurrell - Look on your TV remote for a button called "Pic Off" (mine is on the bottom-right corner). The TV remains on but the picture is cut off.