TACT RCS 2.0 Users Group

I've recently purchased the TACT RCS 2.0 unit. As I've been wrestling with getting the optimum performance out of it, I keep thinking there must be other owners out there that have ideas to share, as well as those who could benefit from what I've learned.

I was hoping this thread would provide a forum to introduce us to each other.

Anyone interested in sharing what you've learned?

I for one have found the unit difficult to get a true grasp of how to optimise, but once learned, it has produced the best sound of any component I've ever added to my system. My system currently consists of a Sony SCD1 to the TACT 2.0 RCS with internal DAC and D/A converter. Signal is then fed from the TACT in analog format to my Art Audio Jota and then to the Avantgarde Duo Hornspeakers.
I'll start by stating I've found the suggestions in the TACT documentation for speaker placement to be contra to good sound. I've gotten the best results by using George Cardas's Near Field logic and using the TACT Nearfield target curve as the beginning point to custom build my personal target curves.

This resulted in a sound stage this is awesome and the clarity of the frequencies is without compare in my experience.

However, it took over 100 hours of experimentation to reach this result - a lot of lessons learned. At this point, I feel I know just enough to be dangerous!
tao
Hi everyone.

TacT just announced a software update to the RCS 2.0 to do parametric equalization. I've been playing with the demo and it's nice.

More can be found on TacT's site and in the TacT Audio Users Group at Yahoo!Groups:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TacTAudioUsersGroup

If you're not already a member please join! The Group is open to all (owners or not) individuals interested in TacT products and speaker/room correction and/or digital amplification/crossover.

Regards,
Nemo
Mr. mikenificent1......Obvioulsy I had involvement with SigTech or I would not have installed so many. Up until the last few years, the SigTech was the only truly operational digital room correction product available. Other products (not the Tact)were/are digital equalizers (read the various writings on this subject by Robert Greene in TAS). And if you read my previous post, you will note that I am a very big believer in digital room correction of ANY brand. Quote follows: "While I can (and will) argue that the SigTech is the superior product in terms of sound quality, the Tact beats the pants off of no room correction and in terms of dollars per unit of sonic gain, the Tact wins against the SigTech"

While we know a lot about measurements and how they relate to what we hear, we also know we don't know everything---hence personal perception of sonic truth comes into play. My perception of sonic truth leans to the SigTech but that in no way suggests I don't think the Tact is a wonderful product (please re-read the above)
I don't know how many TacT RCS units were sold in the UK before TacT's original UK distributor threw in his lot with Lyngdorf in the wake of Peter Lyngdorf's acrimonious split from Boz. Since then, UK distribution of TacT products has been patchy and, as far as I know, there's currently none.

However, I'd like to hear from anyone within a 50 mile radius of Bristol (England) who owns one and who would be interested in demming their system or hearing mine so we can compare notes. Mine is the 2.2X (with TacT/Lyngdorf subwoofers driven by the TacT/Lyngdorf SDA-2175).

My main speakers are PMC IB2's driven by Bryston 7B-SST's. All interconnects are balanced Kimber KCAG's and the speaker cables are 6mm Van Damme (as recommended by PMC). Pete Thomas of PMC frowned somewhat when I told him I was using TacT sub's in conjunction with the IB2's, but with careful set-up, the combination assuredly works. With speakers such as the IB2's, room correction is quite indispensable unless your room is either very well damped or very spacious with fortunate acoustics.

So, if there are any other TacT users out there in my part of the world, I'd be pleased to hear from you.