TACT RCS 2.0 Users Group

I've recently purchased the TACT RCS 2.0 unit. As I've been wrestling with getting the optimum performance out of it, I keep thinking there must be other owners out there that have ideas to share, as well as those who could benefit from what I've learned.

I was hoping this thread would provide a forum to introduce us to each other.

Anyone interested in sharing what you've learned?

I for one have found the unit difficult to get a true grasp of how to optimise, but once learned, it has produced the best sound of any component I've ever added to my system. My system currently consists of a Sony SCD1 to the TACT 2.0 RCS with internal DAC and D/A converter. Signal is then fed from the TACT in analog format to my Art Audio Jota and then to the Avantgarde Duo Hornspeakers.
I'll start by stating I've found the suggestions in the TACT documentation for speaker placement to be contra to good sound. I've gotten the best results by using George Cardas's Near Field logic and using the TACT Nearfield target curve as the beginning point to custom build my personal target curves.

This resulted in a sound stage this is awesome and the clarity of the frequencies is without compare in my experience.

However, it took over 100 hours of experimentation to reach this result - a lot of lessons learned. At this point, I feel I know just enough to be dangerous!
tao
I'm considering getting a Tact 2.0 so that I can put speakers in a bookshelf and still get good sound. Currently I have Audio Physic Virgos in the middle of the room and I can't stand the clutter anymore.

Am I being too optimistic that with good bookshelf monitors and a subwoofer plus the Tact that I can get really good sound?

Also, any other opinions about what is the best DSP out there - Sigtech etc.?

Bill
To [email protected],

If the placement of the bookshelf speakers have a restricted area you can be experimenting with placement, and I assume you are restricted, then I would be cautious about expecting too much.

At this point in my "Tact Adventure", if I were going to start with the restrictions you've defined, I would be sure to do two things:
1. Learn how to build a lot of custom target curves. Be very conservative in my movement of "frequency control points" and start with the flat Nearfield target curve. It is very easy to overdrive your speakers, and possibly do damage to them.
2. Be sure that the dealer I purchased it from had a clear 30 day refund policy he would honor. If not, buy direct from Tact and be sure they understand your challenge.

However, done correctly and with the investment of experimentation, I would be surprized if you did not experience a pleasant improvement.
To those who have the Sigtech and have directly compared it to the TACT, particularly Pls1, would you please give us a little more detail on what you sonically hear as an improvement in the Sigtech over the TACT? I'd appreciate it. Also, do you own the latest incarnation of the Sigtech, or the original version?

From the postings, it is obvious we all feel the user interface and software toolset needs dramatic improvement. Nice to see I'm not alone on that issue!

It is my understanding, TACT will have an upsampler upgrade available in the near future - this should address 1439bhr's valid comments. I'm hopeful that the upsampler will be executed with elegance. However, it will require a motherboard upgrade as well.

To my knowledge, the price for the full blow Sigtech with correction software, cal. mic, etc. is well over $10K.

For the difference in price between the TACT and the Sigtech, I've been willing to spend my evening hours working to get the Tact to give me the sound I want, albeit an unnecessarily frustrating adventure if the software interface and toolset was properly implemented.

I have the requirement in my thinking about room correction that I must have the ability to personally recalibrate the room and adjust as I change system components (try different tubes, pieces of gear in the signal path, etc.) and not have to call in the Sigtech engineer to do this for me at a cost of $400 a shot, or what ever they want to charge, every time.

I have also found that I personally like to build custom target curves for different types of music, tube sets, and even certain artist. The nine filters in the TACT are nice to have, and I use all nine!

Yeah, I'm a perfectionist who is fascinated with the scientific side of our obsession as much as the actual music. This is an interest that can literally blend the artistic and scientific appreciation elements of each of us. And that is one of the big reasons I'm personally insisting on having the tools under my control, not an outside engineer.

Naturally, this is not an approach for everyone. And I admit, there were moments in my first 100 hours with the TACT that I wished I could remove that facet of my personality! LOL!!
To tao. With the Tact alone you are not in control because the curves that you see do not track the actual in room measurements as measured by a professional impulse based instrument with full MLSSA capabilities. With the SigTech you do. If you want to use the SigTech instrumentation but not their D to A the total cost is about $7500. You can have 4 curves in memory. The Tact was in my system 1 year ago. There was a noticable digital glare when I added it into the system, even in bypass mode. I can't detect any with the Sigtech. I was using a Theta ProGen Va. I currently have the MSB Platinum and the dCS Elgar/972 combo. From looking at the chip sets in both the Sigtech and the Tact there are multiples of raw computing power in the Sigtech. When I finally got it set up, the Tact was a decent DSP but what bothered me is that do DID NOT give the correction that you thought you were getting. If you are as perfectionistic as you say you should really buy a real time analyzer. They aren't that much compared to a lot of high end gear.
For those who purchased the TacT 2.0 more than a few months ago, you may want to make sure you have the current software. It is available as a free download on the TacT site. There are some directions and suggestions for download on Audioasylum.