Budget Audiophile system under 2k

Helping a friend out who does not want to spend the 20k i did on my rig.
so...... as a starter audiophile type system, (9x14 room)   

what would you put together for ~2k ish.    

I was thinking Outlaw receiver and Elac speakers    Thoughts?

Thanks

mlapenta
Omegas would work as well.  I have owned a few over the years.  The Super 7 mkII are very sweet @ $1000   The Super 7 are also the least amplifier fussy of the line and do well with both tubes and solid state.  Also, the least fussy with placement.  

https://omegaloudspeakers.com/collections/monitor-speakers/products/super-7-monitor-speaker?variant=32164679756

I would still go with an amp that allows both analog and digital connections. 

I am old school and use a Rega Brio with Omega CAMs, but also used the Rega with the Super 7s.  

Rich
The lightly used Musical Fidelity M2si that @mesch pointed out is a nice option. If you prefer to buy new, I believe Upscale Audio has new ones on sale right now for $599. 
Another option would be to pair the Triangle Boreo BRO3 speaker ($500) with an IOTAVX SA3 full function integrated ($500) leaving $1000 for front end of choice.
Marantz pm5005 integrated $499
Pro-ject x1 $699 (comes w/ sumiko mm)
Wharfedale diamond 220’s $349
Marantz cd5005 $399
Musical fidelity v90 dac $299

This outta do it!
Slightly over budget at $2245, but those are all retail prices and you can grab any of the above at great prices, especially through Amazon. In fact everything above is available on Amazon, how is that for easy!

The diamond 220’s do midrange and bass far above its price point (whathifi 5 stars) The marantz are very musical components with that classic warmish sound signature. The pro-ject was reviewed by fremmer (and he was impressed), and the v90 dac is border line class a component in stereophile. Not certain how you could go wrong or do any better than above.
Just a note, and to shave off a bit of dough, if you can score an old play station 1, I’ve read an article and review that indicated that the playstation is a killer cd player.....
Based on current Audiogon listings:

Marantz CD5004 @ $200 or Marantz DV 8400 @ $300
Rogue Audio Sphinx V2 @ $998.77 (integrated amp)
Monitor Audio Gold 50 speakers @ $600
or  Monitor Audio Gold GR 10 speakers @ $700

If you go with the lower priced CD & speaker options, then there'd be $200 left for an entry level Schiit Audio DAC; or, plenty of choices for a used DAC among the Audiogon listings.