Frustrated with Vinly

Hey All,

Just coming here to let out out my frustration with Vinyl. I know that Vinyl takes patience but it's frustrating when playing some of my newer records and they have noises that I do not want to hear. Meaning, I try to clean them and they still have noise (pops, crackles, etc). When playing at low volumes of course you do not hear as much but when I turn up the volume is when it gets irritating. 

I can understand if older vinyl would sound like this but these are my newer records that I bought (amazon or barnes and nobles).

Now, I know the products that I am using are probably not great in the first place and I will probably need to upgrade to some more serious cleaner).

Currently trying to use a combo of: Kaiu Vinyl record cleaning set and I have also tried the Audio Technica AT6012 Record Care Kit.

So now I am considering either a Spin Clean type system or Pro-Ject  VC-S2 ALU Type cleaning system.

Any suggestions?

I almost want to give up on Vinyl sometimes and stick to digital (cd, hi res files, qobuz streaming).

Current equipment: denon dp-300f w/2m blue cart.

Thanks

Jay
128x128jay73
Regardless of what the artIcle says this is going back into my reassembly of my 70’s system. 😀

SAE 5000

http://www.swingmusic.net/sae.html
Hi

Your frustration is something I completely understand. At the end of 2015, I thought it would be a good idea to start listing to LP's again. Do, dug out my 45 year old turntable, dusted it off, put a new cartridge in it and I was off to the races. Or so I thought...

Had all the same issues. The pops were driving me crazy, that and static. And, so began the arduous journey into cleaning records. Started with home brew formulas, various brushes, cloths and methods. 

Got a spin clean - which drove me crazy and made me want to walk away from records and cut my losses. The SC seemed to make more noise than it took away. I had replaced the TT with a new one at this point so there was a decision to make.

Problem is, records sound so sweet! (Plus I love the process of having to get up and put one on - took more commitment than streaming something from my computer)

Stubbornly kept at it and decided I was going to see it through.

As I was trying to sort out the cleaning, I was also trying to work my way through what pressing and from where and by who.

A friend of mine deals in UK pressings. He returns to "Jolly Old" three/four times a year and comes back with a stockpile of wonderful product. He was a big help in finding my way through the myriad of options for pressings. 

Picked up a RCM for a good price, and now listening is a joy. The Okki Nokki is by no means a high end machine. But, when the right care is taken. and right materials used during cleaning, I am very happy with the results.

Has completely changed my relationship with LP's. Now, if there is the odd snap, crackle or pop, it doesn't bother me as they are few and far between and more often then not, the result of a mark on the vinyl. 

There will be a point I suspect, where your collection grows to the point where you are "all in", and an RCM will become a part of the set up.

P

As Roberjerman says, new vinyl is hit and miss. If you want flawless, you have to either get lucky with used, or spend big on MoFi. And ultra-sonic cleaning is worth the trouble, both in terms of noise and in terms of clarity.
Ultrasonic cleaning has indeed been an eye opener for myself Terry.

Now I wonder how I listened to anything before I had a set up!
tomic601 is spot on about seeking out a local dealer dedicated to vinyl. Many advocate cleaning brand new records. That practice may hold some value. It's difficult to find new vinyl pressings that equal the quality of those made during the "vinyl golden age" without paying a hefty price depending on the particular record.If there are the noises you hear on your vinyl that are inherent to the records, cleaning and anti static measures may lessen them. If there is a problem in your component setup, that's another story. Higher end phono systems tend to amplify record imperfections.Take your suspect records to that local expert and then go from there. Don't give up on vinyl. The reward is worth the effort.