Speakers after GMA Europas

Hello everyone,

I had to sell my gear about a year ago to finish up grad school and I want to start building my setup again simply because I miss it so much. My current budget is about $2500 for both speakers and amp but do not know where to go. I had the GMA Europas which I loved and cannot decide what to replace it with.

What would you suggest for both speakers and amp?
daimbert
Daimbert - I have compared Devores with GMAs and to my ears the GMAs are a much more satisfying speaker if you're looking for transparency to the source, pinpoint imaging, 3-D sound stage, neutral response, dynamics and non-fatiguing sound. It's tough to match the results of the GMA's phase-coherent drivers and extremely high-quality crossovers, I think. The Devores, though, are probably just about as good in their own way when it comes to "musicality" and conveying emotion - they've got more of a "high-efficiency" sound to my ears, and they do have the advantage of being more efficient if you're dealing with very low-powered amps.

That said, you do have a pretty big room, so if you went with the Europas, pairing them with a sub would probably be a must. I think the recs for Vandys and Merlins also make sense, based on your room size.
>if you're looking for transparency to the source, pinpoint imaging, 3-D sound stage, neutral response, dynamics and non-fatiguing sound.<

Wow, not much else to ask for, is there?

Shakey
Hi Mike
F
You had 2CEs back in 96 with a 40 watt sweet tube amp at the time. Not a single component in the current range of Vandersteen is the same as when you had them.
Cheers Johnnyr
Hey John, how ya been, long time no see...
Yes I had the 2 sigs, started on my journey with the Rotel and then had the Cary SLI 80.
Your probably right the Cary didn’t have enough oomph...
I remember wishing I could get the dynamic sound you had in your room, (believe it was with the Quicksilver mono tubes amongst others I remember).
Anyway not trying to knock the Vandies, but I could never get them to float an image like I could with other speakers, and the resolution could have been better (in my system anyway)
You are right though. I haven’t heard the latest iterations from Mr. Vandersteen lately.
I hope all is well with you and your family and I wish you a Happy and healthy New Year!
Take care

Mike