How much does a Zobel network and its components affect the sound of speakers?

Regardless of amplification, my Merlin Audio MMI monitors have always sounded bettter using the Merlin RC Master (Zobel) Networks consisting of a Dueland capacitor and a Caddock resistor in series bringing the tweeter terminals. I've heard that some have replaced the networks using Jupiter capacitors and Vishay resistors and different wires and spades. My question is, How much do the networks and their components and associated values affect the sound? At times my speakers, while having superb resolving ability, can occasionally sound edgy, particularly noticable with voices at higher volumes.
pmboyd
I considered that but it's an expensive upgrade, expensive enough to consider replacing the speakers altogether, not least of which because of the time required to open the sealed enclosure and remove and replace the extensive bracing. Instead, I thought it might be worthwhile intestigating replacing the Zobel as a inexpensive alternative. I'm generally pleased with the speakers, but want to get a sense of what the Zobel with its potential components contributes to their sound.
as "AK" mentioned sounding edgy at higher volume could mean a high amount of off axis output but there are many other potential causes.
I review of your speakers mentions the need for precise room positioning and toe-in.  This also implies that the listening position needs to be somewhat nearfield and also dedicated as lots of true monitor speakers require.  
Does it sound edgy while walking about or in different listening positions other than dead center?  They are designed to sound best listening dead center with considerable distance (4 feet or so) from side walls and optimized toe in.  
Getting the speaker and listening positions at their best is important for these speakers.  
I am experimenting with placement, however, this doesn't address my basic question which is, How much and in what specific way does the Zobel network and its component variables affect the sound of the speakers?
To reiterate, the speakers sound better with the Zobel networks engaged. The networks consist of a Dueland capacitor and a Caddock resistor. What if I changed the capacitor, say, to a Jupiter copper foil and/or the resistor to a Vishay Z foil? As long as the values are equal, would this change the tonal characteristic of the drivers or internal crossover, and if so, wouid it be a negligible change or a palpable one?
You definitely need the zoebel and might see an improvement in sound with new parts if the current cap and resistor are out of spec or defective.  
the zoebel is not a critical part of the crossover network that would lend itself to sound quality upgrades with improved quality parts.  
If you have DIY capabilities those parts should be inexpensive all things considered if you are determined to give it a try.