Who else here is frugal?

If I had to describe myself as an audiophile in one word, I'd like it to be frugal. Iconoclast may also be right, but if I'm different it may be due to being frugal.  There used to be a TV show called The Frugal Gourmet. To paraphrase him, the food he cooked wasn't necessarily cheap, but he'd get as much value as he could out of what he was doing.

Being an iconoclast doesn't hurt either. Listening for yourself and buying what you like, regardless of what reviewers say and how expensive something is also points us towards this.

What about you? Do you feel better saving money than spending it? Then tell us about yourself. :)
erik_squires
I comb these pages and the auction sites/classifieds for equipment I may want while attempting to make good choices. Have neither the time or inclination for diy. Many times I've waited for long periods to see a bargain for what I'm interested in. I guess that's the extent of my frugality. 
“Spending not enough money usually results in more unhappiness than spending a bit too much. Of course spending way too much makes me unhappy as well.”

This resonated with me. After years of ignoring higher end audio due to life I recently got back in. I started off buying too cheap on the used market and I ended up with really good items that didn’t scratch my itch. I finally spent some cash that made me uncomfortable- not because I couldn’t afford but because I was basing prices on equipment I had in the early 80’s. I haven’t fully let go of my yard sale mentality- but I am being very careful about what I buy- and making sure it is going to satisfy whatever void I am looking to fill. 
With all the money I've saved on getting good deals, I'll be able to get a...

Yeah, I'm pretty frugal. Not by choice, but rather by circumstance. The past 5-8 years have been "challenging". Prior to a major change in my life, I don't think anyone would have described me as frugal. Times were different then and I no longer have access to the same resources I once had. 

Not complaining, just being clear in replying to the post. Spend my time on forums reading about peoples systems, what gear has what properties, what tweaks do what - basically trying to educate myself so when the day comes when I have reclaimed my life, I wont be chasing the dream more than necessary. Guess that means I am a changed person, and will not move forward with the same fervor I once did. Thats a good thing :)

So now I build/modify my gear and play with tweaks to see what works, what helps and what doesn't.

I'm so very grateful that I had the opportunity to rediscover my love of music, something that was lost for a very long time. And, I have discovered how much I enjoy adjusting my system and hearing the results of my oh so very frugal efforts.
You mean cheap!! I have bad news for you.. you’re in the wrong hobby.. unless you want cheap crappy music.. to each his own.. 
@millecarbon @erik_squires  I like both of your advices. Y’all should team up and get a review show.