Klipsch Quartet: Suggestions for Setup & Pairing

I picked up a pair of the above-referenced Quartets this weekend and actively solicit their afficionados' input on how to maximize their sound quality. Specifically, I'm having trouble tightening and controlling the bass--it sounds loose and wild (tho quite deep). I've struggled with the bass with both very good MacIntosh tube amp/pre and a 70s-era 60-wattish Pioneer integrated, although turning done the bass tone control on the Pioneer helped somewhat. I dig the looks and massiveness of these things; any ideas on how to get 'em to sound right would be appreciated.
loomisjohnson
I just picked up a mint pair of oak oil Quartet's yesterday and hooked them up to my early 90's Denon PMA-1080R integrated amp. In my setup the bass is fast, deep and controlled. I have them very near the corners of the room toed in about 8 degrees and with the passives about 8 inches from the front wall.

This is actually my second pair of Quartet's and the other pair fares just as well. Experiment with placement and toe-in. Also check to see if the woofers and passives are sealed well and have no pin holes.

Bill
I used to keep mine on a dresser with the horns at ear level. Ran with a McIntosh 7270 then went to a Cary CAD 120s tube amp. Klipsch suggests they are put in corners, but I never ran them that way. I just sold mine after 15years...they were pretty good. Best of luck.
It can be hard enough to place a pair of subs. With a fullrange speaker, you have to find a placement that works for low bass and the mids and highs. Getting them off the ground maybe the best place to start. You will just have to experiment until you find the best compromise. The passive radiators on the back don't make it any easier. A lot of Klipsch speakers sound best near room corners. Good Luck!
guys, thanks for the good advise. i've toyed with placement/height per your suggestions and found the following:
1. raising 'em off the gorund does indeed tighten the bass--i've got 'em on 18" stands and will try raising 'em further;
2. they really don't work well in the middle of the room (too diffuse)--curiously, they do sound better and more focused near the corners;
3. the grills are least acoustically transparent i've encountered--removing them makes the highs and mids much airier, but also causes the woofers to lose some grip.
I'll experiment further--please keep the suggestions coming.