Hornshoppe "the Truth" preamp - any opinions?

"The Truth" changes the paradigm in Reference Line Stages, literally. Its existence has even forced me to remove a "Direct Connection" in "Class A", because such a choice no longer makes any rational sense to me. In the end, "The Truth" is effectively a "direct connection" with no sonic downsides, and with the ability to drive any amplifier load and/or length of cable, while allowing any source to be heard at its very best. With the exception of extra gain, an audiophile can't ask for more than that. I realize that this may all sound "too good to be true", but it isn't. 

-- Arthur Salvatore  http://www.high-endaudio.com/RC-Linestages.html

This is high praise indeed, he likes it better than Coincident's Line Stage which is saying something, was wondering if someone else has heard it and compared it to other active line stages (am a big believer in active, though currently using AMR DP-777 DAC as my pre)
essrand
I just finished upgrading the rca jacks, iec, adding Soundcoat damping throughout and Duelund tinned, stranded copper wiring. I have to say the improvement was very noticeable. I was not sure it would make that much of a difference, but it really has. Based on this I am going to upgrade the SMPS to a nice LPS.

Improved openness and resolution with better imaging and larger stage size. This improvement is easy to hear within minutes. 
@theophile,

I see you use a turntable. What was your experience with the quality of sound coming through your speakers with your turntable. And what phono preamp did you use? Did the Truth preamp reproduce both the phono preamps and turntables inherent sounds? 

@Theophile,

You are one the few folks on the audio forums that has mentioned his front end is a turntable and using The Truth preamp in his system and I’m writing you to see what phono preamps you may have used as I could not find anyone mentioning what phono preamp they used with the Truth preamp.

08-30-2016 7:02pm

I’ve owned my Truth for a little over 3 1/2 years. Via modifications to my turntable/turntable’s isolation the sound of my system has steadily improved to the point where it is much better than when I first got The Truth.

I really cannot tell you what The Truth sounds like. The entire system responds chameleon-like to every change in the front end. My Truth feeds a pair of KRK expose E8B monitors and between the two of them they seem to have very little character of their own. Both superb mind you but both seemingly a mirror to what is fed into them. If you own either, you need to have your front-end components thoroughly sorted-out.

Just so you know my current phono preamp is the Parks Audio Budgie with (2) Kevin Deal’s of Upscale Audio Telefunken E88CC/6922 Platinum Grade, Cryoed, matched pair of NOS Telefunken vacuum tubes which I have to say really pushed the best out of my Budgie to get transparency, depth, wide soundstage, and dynamic range and with an added 3 Dimensional sound quality I have never heard before, especially with a phono preamp that cost so little. The 6922’s actually cost more than the Budgie preamp itself! But that was ok with me.

My question is do you think my Budgie will be able to perform with the Truth preamp? Also know that my phono interconnects in are shielded Duelund 20GA with KLEI™Absolute Harmony Plugs and the phono interconnects out are Duelund 20GA unshielded and have the same KLEI™Absolute Harmony Plugs.

So I think I may have already got lucky with synergy with the Truth preamp as I’ve read on agon that a members sound with the Truth preamp improved with the addition of the Duelunds. And as a side note my speaker wire are Duelund 12GA and I hope the synergy is there too.

Thanks Theophile (or anyone else) for anything you can add or help me with on this.

I had a very fun time comparing two first class preamps. My modified Truth preamp vs Coincident Statement preamp. Both sound fantastic! I listened to both over some 10 hours. Here are the details of each unit.

Coincident Statement Line-stage: Upgraded Psvane WE tubes, SR Black fuse.

The Truth - SR Black fuse, separate chassis dual linear power supply for the +/- 15vdc. The dual LPS powers each buffer board separately. I used a nice over-spec’d RCore tranny. All internal wire and umbilical cord made with Duelund tinned and stranded copper wire. Upgraded Vampire RCA jacks. All 8 caps on the buffer boards upgraded to Audio Note Kaisei. Soundcoat dampening in both chassis units.

I find my upgraded Truth superior to stock after carefully listening step by step along the upgrade path. I did not do it all at once. The upgraded unit is simply better sounding in every sonic parameter important to me. Purity, natural tone, dynamics, stage size, ease and control when turned up, bass impact as well as mid-bass weight and body.

The Coincident preamp is a wonderful sounding preamp. It took me by surprise the first few hours as I did not expect this level of greatness. It is so beautiful sounding with a delicate airy sound that at the same time is dynamic and lively. Tone is spot on and the weight and body from the lower bass to mids was intoxicating even at lower to moderate listening levels. Notes seemed to hang on forever in a good way. I love this preamp! I did not want to take it out of my system. Easily one of the very best preamps I have ever heard. It reminded me of how important a preamp is to a great system. It just pulls it all together.

My Truth preamp was slightly different sounding, but just as enjoyable. The Truth had faster and better defined bass. The tone and purity were perhaps a tad better than the Coincident. It was close however. The Truth is certainly quieter both operationally and musically. It has a spooky absence of noise one doesn’t realize is there with other preamps. The Coincident served up more mid bass weight and body that I found quite satisfying. I do know The Truth imparted less coloration here, but I have to admit l liked this coloration!

I had a moderate ground loop hum that I could not remedy with the Coincident that was certainly annoying. Too bad really. I also found the volume knobs clunky feeling and lacking in the ability to fine tune volume level. Needs more steps! I think the attenuator system was improved in the latest version. Love to hear one of these!

Which one did I prefer? Both! I love both. I will keep my Truth and not buy Coincident for reasons of practicality. I play music 10-12 hours per day and tubes may not be the best option. I was reminded of the often times finicky or fussy nature of tube gear with the ground loop hum that I found annoying. The Truth is as quiet as a mouse. The Truth is just easier on my ears.  Very hard to put this in words folks. Music sounds less forced and just “happens” before you with my Truth. My Truth sounds so good that I can’t let it go, but if I cheated on her it would be with the Coincident Statement!