Upgrading a CD/SACD player with integral DAC

I’ve described my system on site before and it was pointed out the CD/SACD player was the weak link in the system. I’m not in disagreement, and would like to start researching an upgrade that would be commensurate with the rest of the system.

Here is what I have at present:

Marantz SA 8005 CD player with integral DAC
VPI Classic 2 turntable with an Ortofon 2M Black cartridge
Luxman L507 uX Mk2 Integrated Amplifier
Magico A3 speakers
Hydra Denali 6000S Power Conditioner

I have only Redbook CD’s, no SACDs but it would be nice to retain that capability. It would also be nice to retain an integral DAC, although at a higher price point maybe you would advise on getting a separate DAC. I’d rather avoid doing that if possible, as that would mean having to add more cables that would detract from the overall budget. But let me know what you think on that score. I have no plans to add any other components, or to stream music, so that doesn’t need to enter the equation. I listen to mostly fifties jazz and Rock ’n Roll and R&B, among other things, if that is at all relevant. I want to buy new, and not Chinese manufactured products.

So what CD players would you recommend looking into that would be similar in quality to the rest of the system. And what if any sonic improvements might I look forward to with your recommended upgrade. I purposely did not mention price point as I don’t know what price point would put the CD player into the performance range of the rest of the system components. You were all were very helpful to me choosing the rest of the system components, especially the amp and speakers. So I’d appreciate, and am looking forward to your recommendations and guidance on this selection. If there’s any more information you need, please let me know. Thanks

Mike

skyscraper
Thanks you for recommending the Esoteric unit stereo5. I've added it to my list and have already read one positive review of it this morning.

Soix, appreciate your thoughts on a separate DAC. I'm datng myself, but I know little about them, so will track down some reviews about the RCR NOS and start to remedy that situation. Thank you. I'd like to find a good integrated solution if possible, as I'm trying to move away from separates due to the aforementioned ludicrous cost for decent cabling, but maybe the quality DAC you're talking about isn't available otherwise. I've definitely more research to do on this score. Thanks

Sebrof, I love collecting records and discs so much I don't think i'll ever get to streaming. I haunt the Amazon CD and Vinyl site, although it's not quite the same experience going to a record store was. 

Sounds like your Ruby's DAC is much to your liking. I was reading up on the Ruby, including it's DAC component  last night, among other models, with nothing but good reports on both the player and it's DAC. If I recall correctly the Ruby avoids using the ESS chip soix mentioned too. I've really got to learn more about DAC's. 

Mike
skyscraper

I am looking forward in reading about the players auditioned. Have fun!

Happy Listening!

Sebrof, I love collecting records and discs so much I don't think i'll ever get to streaming. I haunt the Amazon CD and Vinyl site, although it's not quite the same experience going to a record store was.
I don't steam at least by my definition which is using a site like Spotify, Qobuz, Amazon Music...
I play my CDs from a laptop. It's like having a 1,000 CD Carousel CD Player with all my CDs loaded. And I have bought more music (CDs and downloads) in the 3 months since I went digital than I have in the past 5 years (mostly vinyl).

I used DB Poweramp (~$30) to rip all my CDs FLAC to an external hard drive (2TB @ $90), USB connected to an old laptop running Windows 10.

I use JRiver Media Center (~$60) to play the files from the laptop via USB to the Marantz Ruby DAC. 

I use JRemote (~$10) on an old iPad to control playback on the laptop.

So now I fire up my laptop with the external HD, start JRiver MC, fire up JRemote on the iPad and viola, I pick and chose what I want to play.

I've also downloaded various levels of PCM HD and DSD files (My DAC can do DSD).

There are other programs and other ways to do this of course.
Good morning Skyscraper, not long ago I was in a similar situation, I had (still have, as a matter of fact) an Arcam UDP411 which I purchased used on the recommendation of a review and because I was looking for one machine to cover a lot of bases, Blu-ray video, and SACD along with red book.  I liked the sound a lot, a little toward the analog side for a CD player, whatever that worth as a description, but it had such technical problems.  Such as only playing discs when it felt like it. I had work done on it, but still the same issues for the most part. So I went looking and found a Yamaha Cd-s2100 for a very good price new. It does have an ESS dac in it, and it does have a slightly less analog sound than the Arcam. However, I find it to be a very good sounding unit. Mechanically I have no issues with it, but it does take it’s time loading discs after the tray is closed. It is SACD capable. Recently a friend lent me his Schitt Modi multibit, and I have to say I preferred the sound of the multibit dac ever so slightly over the ESS, but I can easily say it was preference, not a leap in quality overall. If I never get a separate dac, I could easily see myself happy with the dac in the Yamaha. I looked into, but never got the chance to audition the Marantz units mentioned in other posts, and the Ruby was a strong contender. But the Yamaha won out because of price and balanced outputs. I may look into a separate dac in the future, but for right now I’m digging the Yamaha for price/performance ratio. It is definitely the best player I’ve owned. It may be a discontinued model, which may be why I got the nice price, but I think Yamaha has replaced it with model which may be even better, but I’m sure, at a higher price point. I was also considering one of the used Esoteric models, but given my experience with the Arcam, I wanted to buy a new unit. 
Best wishes in the search, and a happy new year to all, 

Dave
The Luxman SACD players are all pretty good.  I have the D-08u in one system and the drive is really well made.  It does not do MQA if that is is important to you.  I am hearing that they will be making a change in the near future.  Maybe the DAC but also the drive since they are getting very expensive.
In a smaller system (more tube based) I have the Ayon CD35S which is still breaking in.  I like it as well.  At some point I will switch the two players to see how they handle different amps.