Watts and power

Can somebody break it down in layman's terms for me? Why is it that sometimes an amp that has a high watt rating (like, say, a lot of class D amps do) don't seem to always have the balls that much lower rated A or AB amps do? I have heard some people say, "It's not the watts, it's the power supply." Are they talking about big honkin' toroidal transformers? I know opinions vary on a speaker like, say, Magnepans - Maggies love power, right? A lot of people caution against using class D amps to drive them and then will turn around and say that a receiver like the Outlaw RR2160 (rated at 110 watts into 8 ohms) drives Maggies really well! I'm not really asking about differences between Class D, A, or AB so much as I am asking about how can you tell the POWER an amp has from the specs? 
128x128redstarwraith
Georgehifi,

Here is the difference between me and you. Your posts are all conjecture and hand-waving. Conjecture and hand waving is ..... well just that.
Again, let's look at facts:
  • 1500 watts into 2 ohms is 27 amps
  • 100 watts into 2 ohms is 7 amps
  • Maximum dissipation in a LINEAR amplifier with a real speaker load DOES NOT happen at the spot on the speaker impedance curve where the current delivery is highest.
  • Class-D is not impacted by phase w.r.t. power delivery in the same way a linear amplifier is, either in device dissipation or power supply loading.
  • Other than knowing an amplifier can deliver 100 watts into 2 ohms, you have no data that shows the power supply is any more capable of supporting continuous additional power delivery and the dissipation peak of the speaker load
  • You have not heard the Alexia with the Behringer, but you are making many claims that you don't have the requisite data to support.
  • You are deflecting bringing up OTL amplifiers
  • There are many reasons why power may not double with every 1/2ing of the impedance, and without knowing what that reason is, you can't made factual conclusions about an amplifier beyond that it will clip at a given wattage and load impedance (as stated in the specs). If the 2 ohm wattage is stated (and distortion components), and given that impedance doesn't drop below 2 ohms for almost all speakers, then beyond knowing where clipping will occur for 2 amplifiers, you really don't know much else. Any other conclusion you arrive at is purely assumption.

@audiozenology.....thanks for the feedback.  I don't comment on here much.....too much back and forth banter.  So I just read and form my own opinion.  I've become a lot more 'tech savvy' than I used to be.  There's a guy  on CL selling this Proton 'beast'.  What's your impression of the review?  He wants $750 for it. I know they are rare. Not trying to hijack this thread....haha  Judging from your answer, you like the Proton specs I'm guessing.  http://www.hifi-classic.net/review/proton-d1200-165.html
sejodiren
There’s a guy on CL selling this Proton ’beast’. What’s your impression of the review? He wants $750 for it.

This if in good working order >25 years old now (any bad caps have been renewed) it should be a good BJT (bi-polar) amp, at least if the specs are right (typo 175w should be 275w), and increases it’s wattage substantially for each halving of impedance all the way to 2ohms. BTW nice twin R-Core transformer also.
"The D1200’s output clipped at rms
155 watts into 8 ohms
275 watts into 4 ohms
350 watts into 2 ohms

With peaks of
593 watts - 8ohms
1,187watts - 4ohms
1,800 watts - 2ohms,

Here is a great video test clip this guy did.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DL8R-vJRo54&feature=youtu.be

Cheers George