Watts and power

Can somebody break it down in layman's terms for me? Why is it that sometimes an amp that has a high watt rating (like, say, a lot of class D amps do) don't seem to always have the balls that much lower rated A or AB amps do? I have heard some people say, "It's not the watts, it's the power supply." Are they talking about big honkin' toroidal transformers? I know opinions vary on a speaker like, say, Magnepans - Maggies love power, right? A lot of people caution against using class D amps to drive them and then will turn around and say that a receiver like the Outlaw RR2160 (rated at 110 watts into 8 ohms) drives Maggies really well! I'm not really asking about differences between Class D, A, or AB so much as I am asking about how can you tell the POWER an amp has from the specs? 
128x128redstarwraith
Your selective cut and paste and your mention of phase angle shows you neither understand my post nor amplifier specs.
No it is you that has no understanding sir, as the combined loading the amp sees, of -phase angle plus low impedance can look a very much harsher load to the amp than just the low impedance alone. And you need amps that can almost keep doubling their wattage for each halving of load impedance to drive them well and if the said speaker is high efficiency but has that evil loading (as Alexia ect have) then you don't need so many watts but still need the double of those watts to signify current.

Like said listen to the Alexia driver by the 3000w Behringer then with the 25w ML2's  

No, you are wrong Georghifi , and I see you have made this wrong claim many times on this forum and even though many people have told you you are wrong, you keep making it.

Phase-angle w.r.t. load impedance is only "harsh" in that it places significant thermal stress on the output devices of linear amplifiers and additional loading on the power supply. That does not impact Class-D amplifiers. It is a transient condition in real world music. In continuous power measurement, it is NOT a factor of current delivery as maximum dissipation DOES NOT occur at the peak current / lowest impedance. That goes back to my original post above w.r.t. the importance of the power supply, which can support transient peaks with capacitance, but if you want "nice" continuous measurements, you need a beefier transformer/switching supply.

Again, you are making a leap w.r.t. amplifier performance that you are NOT able to make with the limited information available. 2 amplifiers each able to deliver 100 watts cleanly at 2 ohms, can each supply the same current no matter what they may do at 4 or 8 ohms. Without knowing what the inherent limitation is of the design, you cannot make conclusions, only assumptions ... and you know what they say about assumptions.

Being able to deliver 1500 watts into 2 ohms, cleanly, does show the ability to deliver 27 amps. Being able to deliver 100 watts into 2 ohms, shows the ability to deliver 7 amps. Any other conclusions you want to attempt to come to are just conjecture.

-phase angle plus low impedance can look a very much harsher load to the amp than just the low impedance alone.

I will guarantee something you have not done ... listen to the Alexia with the Behringer. They may not be fancy, and they may not be what we traditionally think of as "hi-fi" but they are designed to drive loads every bit as harsh as the Alexia, and to do it continuously in harsh environments.

georgehifi6,476 posts12-22-2019 2:33pm

Like said listen to the Alexia driver by the 3000w Behringer then with the 25w ML2's  

I don’t care for what you say, you need amps that can almost double down for each halving of impedance, not ones that actually halve their wattage and go backwards!! with current sag limiting into hard loads.

Next you’ll be telling me that a 100w OTL tube amp will drive the Alexia better than the 25w ML2.

You stick with your $400 3000w Class-D’s, and go spruik your views on a PA sites instead where you’ll make a dent
Georgehifi,

Here is the difference between me and you. Your posts are all conjecture and hand-waving. Conjecture and hand waving is ..... well just that.
Again, let's look at facts:
  • 1500 watts into 2 ohms is 27 amps
  • 100 watts into 2 ohms is 7 amps
  • Maximum dissipation in a LINEAR amplifier with a real speaker load DOES NOT happen at the spot on the speaker impedance curve where the current delivery is highest.
  • Class-D is not impacted by phase w.r.t. power delivery in the same way a linear amplifier is, either in device dissipation or power supply loading.
  • Other than knowing an amplifier can deliver 100 watts into 2 ohms, you have no data that shows the power supply is any more capable of supporting continuous additional power delivery and the dissipation peak of the speaker load
  • You have not heard the Alexia with the Behringer, but you are making many claims that you don't have the requisite data to support.
  • You are deflecting bringing up OTL amplifiers
  • There are many reasons why power may not double with every 1/2ing of the impedance, and without knowing what that reason is, you can't made factual conclusions about an amplifier beyond that it will clip at a given wattage and load impedance (as stated in the specs). If the 2 ohm wattage is stated (and distortion components), and given that impedance doesn't drop below 2 ohms for almost all speakers, then beyond knowing where clipping will occur for 2 amplifiers, you really don't know much else. Any other conclusion you arrive at is purely assumption.