Cartridge loading

Presently I am using a ZU/Denon DL103 mc cartridge with ZU Audio's highest tolerances.  I had this cartridge mounted on my VPI Prime and after going through all the various loading combinations, I settled on 200 ohms.  I was always satisfied with my choice of setting.  I no longer have the Prime and now use the Technics SL1200G turntable.  After having the same cartridge mounted and aligned by the dealer, I inserted it into my system and enjoyed the sound immensely, never touching the 200 ohm setting.

Yesterday I was listening to vinyl most of the day and for some reason I found the sound to be better than ever, mostly in the treble area.  The highs had shimmer when needed and I had played the same records many times before on the Prime and they never sounded as good as they did yesterday.  Just for the heck of it, I checked the cartridge loading and found it was now set at 1000 ohms.  As I said, when I put the Technics into the system, I never bothered changing the loading which was at 200 ohms as it was the same cartridge, just a different turntable.

I believe I know what happened, when I last used the tone controls on my McIntosh preamp, (you have to shuffle through a menu) I must have inadvertently put the cartridge loading at 1000 ohms.  It truly sounds fantastic, better than I ever thought possible.  The Bass is still very deep and taut, midrange is the same but the treble, oh my, so much better.  Now the million dollar question is why should it now sound better at 1000 ohms, when it sounded great before at 200 ohms?  Can the tonearm on the Technics have an effect on cartridge loading?  I always thought it was all dependent on the preamp, amp and speakers.  What am I missing here?  I am very curious to know.  The specs for my cartridge say greater than 50 ohms for loading.

Thanks
128x128stereo5
Seems like  most everyone else seems to hear differences with load changes.  Maybe by building a phono pre so quiet or with certain tubes, etc... kills the music from coming totally through.  

Dave brings up a interesting point and another variable which may explain why most people hear differences between loading.  You also notice he did not make make blanket statement about do this and your  home free!!!

I only thing I know for certain is there are so many things we do not know about energy.  And the only real way to know if you are reproducing something that sounds like Real music is to listen, change, listen, change, listen etc...!!!

I realize this is not building forum so you are at the mercy of manufacturer and the ad copy.  And being able to experiment with infinite amount of different resistors and capacitors to load your cartridge just right, is not in the cards, for most people.

Enjoy the ride
Tom
After meticulous Tonearm set up I have always just used the manufacturer's recommendation. Switching around on an ARC phono amp I can not make out any difference in sound quality.
Ralph, how does cartridge impedance affect all of this? I assume on a good phono amp not at all. If a higher load increases the motor's stiffness why wouldn't a cartridge track better at lower loads?
I forgot. How would this affect the resonance of the cartridge in a particular tonearm. It sound like lowering the load might lower the resonance frequency?
@atmasphere

Is there a measurement on Stereophile or whatever that will show if a phono stage has resistance to RFI and/or good internal stability?

Otherwise the only way to know is to compare the sound of a LOMC at say 300 ohms vs 47k, right?
Ralph, how does cartridge impedance affect all of this? I assume on a good phono amp not at all. If a higher load increases the motor's stiffness why wouldn't a cartridge track better at lower loads?
When one **increases** the load, the actual load resistance is lower. If there is less load, the resistance is higher.  That should answer your second question as well.
Is there a measurement on Stereophile or whatever that will show if a phono stage has resistance to RFI and/or good internal stability?

Otherwise the only way to know is to compare the sound of a LOMC at say 300 ohms vs 47k, right?
I've not seen Stereophile do any such measurements- which IMO suggests that whomever is doing the testing isn't paying attention to this parameter. So yes, trying the two different loading values is about the only way you can do it.

BTW, here is an excellent tutorial on this topic:http://www.hagtech.com/loading.html

This tutorial is seeing everything from the cartridge point of view and ignores how the phono section responds. But the resonant peak I've mentioned is obvious. Cartridge manufacturers often suggest a value for loading, but that is usually a general value and this calculator reveals why: the tone arm interconnect cable is playing a role (as well as the input capacitance of the phono section) and this value is an unknown. So the loading value often seen in the literature for a cartridge is really only a suggestion.

What I am maintaining is that if the preamp is properly designed, the resonant peak will be of no consequence to the phono section. Its pretty obvious that a peak like that if driven into excitation (which it often is by the cartridge itself) has the ability to overload the input of a phono section unless that phono section takes this issue into account.

Again, the presence of RFI or ultrasonic energy at the input of an active circuit can affect the way it sounds. As I mentioned earlier it can also affect the compliance of the cantilever of the cartridge. Jonathan Carr (of Lyra fame) and I had a conversation on this topic at Munich a few years ago- it was after a thread on this topic on which we were both active as on the What's Best Forum. He pointed out to me this issue of compliance- prior to that I'd not really thought it thru. Its a really good point because into 47k the cartridge might be doing X amount of work, but into 100 ohms it will be doing 470X **more** work, and that energy has to come from somewhere otherwise a new branch of physics is created :)

That of course will limit the ability of the cartridge to trace higher frequencies. But cartridge compliance is not measured with such low resistance loads, so when looking at the specs to see if a particular cartridge is going to work in a particular tone arm this issue can throw off the setup!